PDA

View Full Version : 90 galoon reef (help!)

spider429
01/12/2012, 03:09 PM
I have a 3yr old reef tank that is giving me some grief. Its mainly sps, lps and some clams. My clams, frog spawn, xenia, acans, green cap montis, and green slimers, and my brains are doing awesome, however the orange cap montis, some of the brown montis, green mille, aust delicate acro, brown staghorns, and neon green birdsnest are doing kinda crappy. They seem to be fading quite a bit, and are extremely slow growing, but the other half of the tank is doing well execpt also seem to be slow growing but exellent color. My magnesium is around 1200, calcium is always high around 490 or 500, specific gravity is at .026, ph 8.4, alk 10, nitrate 0, phosphate usually 0, temp 79. I run a marineland 150 skimmer 20hrs a day, reactor with biopellets 24/7, change carbon monthly, water changes once a week using coralife salt, I have a 6bulb t5 setup with 3 mth old bulbs.Theres plenty of water movement, I use ro water, which gets flushed once a month and carbon changed every six. Once a week i will dose live phyto, reef snow, amino acids, trace elements, coral vit, and coral frenzy, I will use one product for each day of the week usually. I have 12 fish which I feed flakes once a day, and frozen at night. Not sure whats going on?

desi04
01/12/2012, 03:26 PM
your parameters look good, bulbs are fairly new. Since you noticed the corals fading have you changed anything on your maintenance of the tank. Have you been feeding at the same schedule or did you add or change anything to the feeding. If you have not changed anything regarding maintenance or feeding, I remember another reefer on this site that could not figure out what was going on with his tank until he found that maybe one of his kids had dropped a penny in his sump which caused copper to leach into the tank.

danderso
01/12/2012, 05:46 PM
I know you said your water flow is good. Are you sure? You didnt say what you are using for water flow. Some powerheads can drop their flow dramatically from coralline algae growth. The corals that are doing bad sound like mostly the neediest where flow is concerned.

spider429
01/13/2012, 03:58 PM
I have a fluval fx5 that I setup with 4 outputs, I have a aqueon 1250 blasting the sps on a timer with 5min intervals, and the current from the skimmer. I had two more koralias in
the tank but it seemed to be too much. I did notice a change when i swithced from red sea coral pro to coralife salt. Not sure if my alkalinity is jumping around?

Sinclair81
02/07/2012, 12:52 AM
Are you dosing or running a calc reactor?