PDA

View Full Version : Question about Air Stone Placement

DrSalty
01/12/2012, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a batter powered pump to go in my tank in case of a power outage. The pump came with an air stone and tubing, but the tubing is so short that it only reaches roughly 3 inches below the surface of the water. Is this enough depth to keep my tank going if the power shuts off or do I need to get a longer piece of tubing? Thanks.

seapug
01/12/2012, 04:08 PM
Ideally you'd want it situated as deep as possible to affect the greatest amount of water movement and maximum contact time with the water column.

Agu
01/12/2012, 05:40 PM
Skip the air stone completely and get a piece of rigid tubing that goes almost to the bottom of the tank. Without use the air stone will clog in your tank and be ineffective when you most need it. Also the tubing will create larger bubbles and greater flow/aeration.

Test the bubbler to confirm the output won't rise to the top when activated. You can cable tie it to something or have it jammed between live rock so it stays near the bottom of the tank. Here's a pic of a bubbler bracket I made.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/diy/images/tn_DSCN2265_jpg.jpg

I ended up trimming/raising the tubing so the cable tie keeps the rigid tubing vertical.

rk_tek
01/12/2012, 05:44 PM
Put the tubing as deep as it will go while still providing adequate bubbles. My battery air pump doesn't have the power to produce bubbles at the bottom of my 14" deep tank

DrSalty
01/12/2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys. I will definitely incorporate them.