PDA

View Full Version : Hang on over flow Help Maggie Muffler or Stand Pipe

Buganddoug
01/12/2012, 08:43 PM
I have a 180 gallon tank and it has 1 hang on over flow box with 2 - 1" drains in it and it is very noise.
So what would be better to make it QUITE! Maggie Muffler or stand pipe that I found on Premium Aquatics?
http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=GEO-SP1
Maggie Muffler I found on Aquacave
http://www.aquacave.com/maggie-muffler-quiet-broverflow-box-standpipe-brcap-fits-any-1-standpipe-2901.html#

RotaryGeek
01/13/2012, 10:07 AM
Look up Hofer Gurgle Buster. Fits in a tight space and works pretty well.

solitude127
01/13/2012, 11:29 AM
I don't think the maggie muffler will fit into the space of a hang on overflow box. I've used the hofer gurgle buster in the past and it's worked well for me.

card_judge
01/13/2012, 11:37 AM
I had the same exact problem. Took a small towel and placed it over the top doubled over a couple of times and problem was all but solved. Some small noise but nothing at all like before.

Buganddoug
01/13/2012, 04:18 PM
I don't think the maggie muffler will fit into the space of a hang on overflow box. I've used the hofer gurgle buster in the past and it's worked well for me.

They do make a mini that will fit and it is 1".
•Fits 1 inch pipe
•2- 5/8” wide and 3- ¼” tall

chilwil84
01/13/2012, 07:50 PM
just got 2 magi minis for my eshopps overflows. they work great, i now hear my fans instead of the water. i have no experience with the type from premium aquatics.

bucksfan1976
01/13/2012, 08:00 PM
I was looking into a larger tank without it being drilled and this stuff with HOB overflows is whats hold me back from purchasing one.

Buganddoug
01/13/2012, 08:26 PM
just got 2 magi minis for my eshopps overflows. they work great, i now hear my fans instead of the water. i have no experience with the type from premium aquatics.

Who did you buy yours from?

Mouse
01/13/2012, 10:53 PM
$20 wow, think I spent about $5 on parts to make mine. Not the Hofer though darn it now I have to see if I can find it online again :eek2:

OK its the Stockman mod2 http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=239116

zigzag1
01/14/2012, 10:26 AM
I use a HOB overflow and have for years. Mine is dual drains as well. I use one drain as primary, and another as backup/emergency in case the first clogs. My HOB overflow was originally made by Eshopps. I did some modifications on mine to open the drain lines as large as possible using 1.5" bulkheads and larger diameter tubing on the drains. Larger diameters helped mine with creating less noise. I also made something similar to the Maggie Muffler but DIY. I made mine with the cap to an aerosol spray can with a small hole drilled in the top. The cap I used from a can of non-stick cooking spray. Cheap, easy, and effective. Take a look at the Maggie design and you can find one or make one yourself with some plumbing parts. JMTC & GL!

kzziboy
01/14/2012, 12:45 PM
Hofer Gurgle Buster works PERFECT for me!