PDA

View Full Version : Good pump with 1.5" outlet

amstar
01/13/2012, 10:34 AM
Bought a pump here and the seller didnt send it.

Set up my plumbing to that pump.

need pump now...

whats a good pump (external) that has a 1.5" outlet

tkeracer619
01/13/2012, 10:35 AM
What GPH and head height?

amstar
01/13/2012, 12:23 PM
doesnt matter. The pump that bought (and wasnt shipped) was a dolphin that pushed 3700 GPH.

Head height... 3-5ft maybe.

can/plan on dialing the pump back. Will have it feed 4 1" returns... as well as possibly feeding a skimmer down the road and maybe a reactor or two

tkeracer619
01/13/2012, 12:32 PM
A reeflo dart has 2" in and 1.5" out. Same GPH. Have been running one for 6 years 24/7 365 without issue.

http://www.aquacave.com/reeflo-dartbr-water-pump-525.html

amstar
01/13/2012, 12:53 PM
is there a big difference between the reeflo dart and the reeflo-snapper?

I see a few snappers for sale on RC

OregonReefer
01/13/2012, 03:24 PM
The snapper has less flow but they both share the same impeller housing... Meaning you can replace the snapper impeller with the Dart impeller to get the 3700gph

The real difference is the snapper has an AO Smith motor and the Dart has a Baldor motor

I've been running the Snapper with the Dart impeller and am very happy so far

billdogg
01/13/2012, 06:12 PM
I have a DART - 4+ years - no problems - silent. great pump IMO

amstar
01/13/2012, 06:26 PM
ya the link that Tkeracer gave me to aquacave has the snapper with the free upgrade dart kit. wonder if that maybe a better route to go then just buying the dart straight up

chuckreef
01/13/2012, 06:32 PM
+1 (no make it +3) on the Dart. And, you can run a 1.5' on the intake and it does not hurt it.

At that flow (37000) the barracuda might be a better choice, but its not as quiet as the dart. Meaning>>> the Dart (my return pump) is silent (I can't hear it), my barracuda (my closed loop pump) was not (I could hear it), not loud - but I could hear it. It was replaced with another Dart, I chose the silence over the greater flow. The second dart is more than enough for the CL.

dahenley
01/14/2012, 12:48 PM
amstar

the new hybrid pumps use a finned style motor (like the original darts) which helps disipate heat.
the New Hybrid pumps also come with both impellers so you can run the lesser flow model and upgrade later at no expense.

just look for the Dart/Snapper hybrid pumps.
they dont make just the dart if you buy it new. (since its the same line, just different impeller, they combined the two)

amstar
01/14/2012, 05:19 PM
so will the snappper be able to handle:

two 1" drains
two 3/4" drains

If I need I can "throttle" back the pump as well

Tat2demon
01/14/2012, 08:19 PM
Another bump for the Dart.

Want to correct what OregonReefer said though. Both the Snapper and Dart regular models run the AO Smith motor. The Gold versions run Baldor motors. Golds cost quite a bit more but they have a little more head height, a 5 year warranty vs 3 year and it seems the Baldors generally last a lot longer.

The Snapper/Dart hybrid will work just fine for you. I doubt you would need to put in the Dart impeller for your setup but if you needed more flow its very simple to swap out.

JR719
01/14/2012, 08:27 PM
+1 Dart or Snapper. I have both. If you get the snapper(hybrid) you get the dart impeller too. Take a look at the power consumption of the snapper and dart's vs. other pumps of the same size. You'll be surprised how low Reeflo pumps are.

viggen
01/14/2012, 08:40 PM
If you need something to get you by I have a dart/snapper hybrid sitting in the garage that runs my pond you can use. I might even be willing to sell it since I plan on getting a different filter system for the smaller pond. It's been used for about 2 months I think.... you are welcome to use it if you need something now.

I also have a red dragon 12m3 you can borrow if that would work better.