PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia Identification

jmorgret
01/13/2012, 04:47 PM
Ok, first off wanted to see if I correctly identified this as aiptasia. Here are some pics circled in red.

So I started my tank with clean base rock and ordered some live rock to seed it from PA, and if this is indeed aiptasia, I'm going to be a little disappointed. I noticed what appears to be many tubes sticking off the rocks, and was wondering if these were part of the aiptasia at all, kind of hard to see. Anyway, wanted to make sure that was what it is before I move on to treating it. Would appreciate some help.

Zappo
01/13/2012, 04:54 PM
The first two pics do look like aiptasia, but I'm not sure about the 3rd. Poke one. If it retracts, it's probably more anemones. If it's hard, it's probably just a vermetid snail.

f3honda4me
01/13/2012, 05:24 PM
The 3rd one look like red feather dusters maybe? First 2 look like aiptasia.

jmorgret
01/13/2012, 06:10 PM
I only see 1 at the moment and it is really small. I have some needles to inject lemon juice, but it may be difficult being so small. Was wondering, the rock it is on is about the size of a tennis ball, could I just pull that out, and take a lighter to it to kill it? Would that work?

bruno87
01/13/2012, 06:40 PM
I've always bought peppermint shrimp for aiptasia. They could be hit or miss though.

SushiGirl
01/13/2012, 07:14 PM
I only see 1 at the moment and it is really small. I have some needles to inject lemon juice, but it may be difficult being so small. Was wondering, the rock it is on is about the size of a tennis ball, could I just pull that out, and take a lighter to it to kill it? Would that work?

Yes. Just rinse it off really well with tank water.

rolodex1
01/13/2012, 09:49 PM
the 3rd one look like red feather dusters maybe? First 2 look like aiptasia.
+1