PDA

View Full Version : Who adds phytoplankton in SPS tank?

takayan
01/14/2012, 10:37 AM
I have a couple of questions to add phytoplankton in my SPS tank.
What is the benefit to add phytoplankton in the SPS tank? Also what a kind of negative impact it can be happened?
I am little bit afraid of blooming algae in my display tank.
Which brand do you recommend?
I just bought Phyto Feast, but not sure it is good or not.

chrishayes
01/14/2012, 01:42 PM
I add phytofeast to my fuge connected to my sps tank. It really helps to feed the pod population. Not sure if it has any positive effect for the corals but it doesnt seem to hurt them in any way...

emerald crab
01/14/2012, 02:04 PM
I add live tetraselmis, about 50ml(2 fl oz) a week. I also feed my corals live bbs twice a week, so I can't really tell if phyto helps. What I can say is it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

allsps40
01/14/2012, 06:58 PM
Not me, zooplankton though yes. Once in a while, maybe once a month.

takayan
01/16/2012, 09:13 PM
Thank you all.
It looks like there would not be any negative effects.
I will add it from small amount.

lgray13
01/16/2012, 10:15 PM
I add about a cup of phytoplankton a few times a week, adding some to my display and some to my sump. Never had any blooms or problems and all my corals are thriving.

bogg
01/16/2012, 10:18 PM
Never had a need that stuff is expensive
IMO Ime and not Needed but I run a Beckett so....

allsps40
01/17/2012, 10:28 AM
Oh I should say that when I did feed PhytoFeast daily as the bottle says to I had film algae out breaks, mostly on the glass. This was years ago and thats why I dont feed it any more. I will also feed Coral Feast the dried coral food once in a while.

choboreef
01/17/2012, 10:58 AM
Wow, 1 cup of phyto is quite a handful.

I've had issues with algae explosion using too much of it so I stopped.
Really didn't see any improvements, didn't want to keep digging a hole in my pocket.

jhs
01/17/2012, 03:45 PM
I've fed phyto 15ml every couple weeks for several years to all my tanks and no problem. Can't say its caused any harm. Just part of my regimine.

mc-cro
01/17/2012, 06:32 PM
I dose spraydried phyto or reefchili a few times per week. I only dose a small salifert spoon or two at a time for 220g of water. Its easy to overdose and cause you to have to wipe the glass every day or two, but its temporary. if you just dont dose for a few days all will be fine.

The more you feed, the more pods and infauna you will have since there are more nutrients in the system. some people like this, some people do not, depending on what your target is.

inselaffe
01/18/2012, 03:02 AM
they reckon bleached corals can take on new zooxanthellae through capturing phytoplankton.