PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 01:52 PM
Hey all. I'm looking to purchase a good protein skimmer. Being new to the hobby and on a budget I'm not sure what to get. I currently have a protein skimmer but I'm not sure what kind it is or what it's rated for, if someone could help me with that I would greatly appreciate it. I have a sump and this one is currently in the sump but I'm not sure if it's worth a darn. I'll post a picture down below.

Should I go with a hang on back skimmer? or an in sump skimmer? My tank is a 46 gallon with a wet/dry filter for a sump and a separate 6-7 gallon refugium. I've probably got close to 55 gallons of total water volume in this system.

After we move in a few months I'll be upgrading to a 75 gallon aquarium and building a sump/refugium so I'd like to get something that will work for that as well so I don't have to buy another one in the future. Any suggestions?

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 01:59 PM
I think This (http://arswholesale.com/site1/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=6597) is my protein skimmer. I'm not sure how high or low in the sump it should be placed, by that I mean how far the water level should be above the pump. any suggestions?

jamey1015
01/14/2012, 01:59 PM
I would say go for an in sump model just because they are more powerful, I like my Bubble Magus skimmer and it didn't break the bank, also a lot people like all the reef octopus skimmers which are similar priced and I know a lot of guys who like the SWC line like the BMK150 as it's good and affordable.

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 02:17 PM
I found my skimmer (http://www.pro-clear.com/skimmers.html)....It's the 75 gallon rated Pro Clear. Is this model any good? is it sufficient for what I'm running currently?

tkeracer619
01/14/2012, 02:26 PM
Its a MOTORIZED 75 not 150.

Does it run? If so you should clean it out by running it in a vat of water and vinegar. I would fire it up and see what it does. Put water in a container big enough then pour white vinegar while its running until you get small bubbles and foam. Run it for 24h and it will look like new. Hold the skimmer in your hand in the sump and put it at different depths. You are looking for a smoother sound out of the air intake and smaller (not fewer) bubbles. When you find the spot that works best make that the operating level.

The pump on it is pretty sub par and the performance isn't anywhere close to what is available now but it might still work for your 46. I would def still strongly consider an upgrade. That style rio pump has nuked tanks in the past.

Check out the SRO-1000. You won't be disappointed in its performance and it would handle your 75. If you are positive you are going to upgrade to a 75 there is no reason to wait. The bubble blaster pump has a 3 year warranty.
http://www.saltysupply.com/Reef-Octopus-Super-Reef-1000-Intern-p/OC9155.htm?gclid=CJ6Orqaq0K0CFUsaQgodoij_nQ

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I did the vinegar and water thing to clean in up a few weeks ago and have had it in my tank, I have the water level about 2" above the pump and the bubbles don't reach the top of the neck, when I had it about 5" below the water level the bubbles made it to the cup but all i collected was clear water. The tank is pretty new so I guess I'll see if anything starts to happen over the next couple of weeks and adjust it. Otherwise I'll be purchasing a new one. Thanks for posting that link, it's a bit more that I would like to spend at the moment but it's affordable and If you say it will do a good job then I'm all for it! Thanks again for the response

tkeracer619
01/14/2012, 02:39 PM
No problem. There are definitely less expensive skimmers that will do the job for you. With the SRO and XP series most of the cost is the pump. It has proven to be a great performer.

The white stand pipe on your skimmer should be adjustable. Set it how I describe earlier and then adjust that pipe up and down to set the height inside the skimmer. I would try to get the water level to the bottom of the neck and go from there.

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 02:52 PM
The pipe is adjustable, but it only moves about a 1/2 inch up or down, I think it's stuck and I didn't want to pull too hard on it for fear of it breaking, so I'm stuck using various Tupperware bowls to raise and lower the whole skimmer, lol

Here's some pictures that will maybe help see what I'm working with here

tkeracer619
01/14/2012, 03:01 PM
I would remove that tube on the drain. There is no vent so it can produce a siphoning effect.

I would at least try to dial it in without it.

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 04:11 PM
That garden hose I just put in there to route the exit water from the skimmer back into the trickle chamber so that it wouldn't splash back into the sump right next to the return pump to my system, otherwise there would be bubbles everywhere in my display.

allsps40
01/14/2012, 07:24 PM
Those skimmers are not that great at all, they do skim though. Have you checked my SC 150 review??

moondoggy4
01/14/2012, 07:37 PM
Second the SC150 skimmer, great skimmer good on the wallet.

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 11:35 PM
I just read your review allsps40, glad I came across it, I'm going to look it up on ebay and possibly go that route, less than $100 sounds great!!!

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 11:36 PM
do you have a link on where to purchase it?

FadedSpy
01/14/2012, 11:37 PM
Is THIS (http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-Gallon-Fresh-Saltwater-Fish-tank-Protein-Skimmer-/380353944878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588edc9d2e) it?

scarface70706
01/15/2012, 05:38 PM
look into reef octopus skimmers. i have one and love it. i was in the same boat as you awhile ago asking for skimmers and it seams like a lot of people love the reef octopus skimmers. after i bought mine and broke it in im glad i went this route then the others i was looking at (Bubble mag, swc, aquaC) not saying these are bad companies but i felt the reef octopus's have been used more widely then the others. it came down to swc or the octopus. after i made my purchase i read a article about the owner of swc and how he got caught for transporting/smuggling illegal marine livestock. after reading this i will never consider SWC ever again.