PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish fighting

Sandia97
01/14/2012, 04:21 PM
So today my two clownfish started fighting, the larger going after the smaller one.(I got them at the same time BTW) I looked up all kinds of information on this and I now realize they are "going through changes" as my mom would say ha ha...and are possibly going to become a pair. OR they could both turn female and then someone gets hurt or possibly dies :/
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and can shed some light as to how long until I know which way it's going to go? Should I interfere or let them tangle? (I'll remove one if I see injuries of course) I'm afraid to leave them without supervision!

michaelr
01/14/2012, 04:44 PM
how much size difference are we talking? they wont both become females only one will. this is why theyre fighting to see which one is dominant then that one will become female. once its decided fighting will die down. this does not pertain to maroons though if you have them.(most likely with maroons theyll fight to the death)

Sandia97
01/14/2012, 04:52 PM
very minor size difference ..I couldn't even tell them apart before they started fighting. Now I noticeone is slightly larger. They are Ocellaris

Toddrtrex
01/14/2012, 05:12 PM
I would just watch it for now, but be prepared to take action. I had a B&W pair that were great for about 6 months, then the female turned on the male. He ended up jumping out of the tank when I wasn't around to save him.

Reefing Newbie
01/14/2012, 05:17 PM
Just watch for now and take one out if it is getting really bad. IME, you should feed a little more because I had a perc pair with a very noticable size difference(they were juvies) and the larger one was beating on him and she out competed him for food. I now feed my two new clowns(B&W ocellaris) a little more because soon they will begin fighting. The two are only about 5 months old so I have a feeling it will happen soon. Already see a little squabling after feeding.

Sandia97
01/14/2012, 05:24 PM
ok..if I end up having to give one of them away or possibly return it which one should it be?? Would the bullying female cause problems with other fish in the future?

Fish Biscuit
01/14/2012, 08:39 PM
If you only keep 1 of them, most likely it will be female in the long run so it probably doesn't matter which 1 stays. Keep an eye on them but it should settle down, is the smaller 1 submissive yet? Once he submits to the larger clown things should quiet down.

Sandia97
01/15/2012, 02:49 PM
yeah he seems to be sucking up to the female..keeps trying to hang out with her and does that shaking thing next to her, but she just attacks him. They must be exhausted!