PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Rock

srao1972
01/15/2012, 01:01 PM
Hello!

New tot he community. I am setting up a FOWLR, 90 gallon aquarium. I figure 100lbs of live rock would be great, but expensive. I looked online, and can obviously get it cheaper, but I am concerned with curing the rock in-tank-> tank is in basement, and smell could be hard to clear. Can't cure outside- (we live in wisconsin, too cold).

Another alternative is to get 90lbs of dead rock, and add a small amount of (20-30lbs) of live rock from LFS.

Does that sound reasonable?

BCreefmaker
01/15/2012, 01:11 PM
Most people now seem to go the mostly dry rock route seeded with some live rock. The two main benefits are lower cost, and less pests being introduced. This is where I would save money on my tank. IMO real LR is cool, and has unbeatable biodiversity. But the extra cost and possible pests do not make it worth it in my mind. Especially when you consider with time and seeding the dry rock will become maybe 75% as bio diverse as premium LR?

srao1972
01/15/2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks! Any experience buying dead/base rock online?

boxer rox
01/15/2012, 02:04 PM
I just bought 50 lbs. of Key Largo dry rock from Marco rocks. I used about 25 lbs of live rock from my other tank to seed it. No joke its been two weeks and it is already getting some purple spots and the corals are growing right into it. I used it to upgrade to a new bigger tank. I agree the live rock is awesome when you get it and its loaded up with critters but the dry rock is so much cleaner. I couldn't be happier with my order.

BCreefmaker
01/15/2012, 02:05 PM
I live in Canada. So I can just share general experience. Some dry rock is pretty nasty, in that it can leech nitrates and phosphates for months. So if they list is as phospahte/nitrate free that is a big plus and can make up part of the normally higher cost. I have heard good things about marco rocks from Florida. They have live and dry.

Mark Bianco
01/15/2012, 03:15 PM
I bought Dry rock from BRS and when doing the curing thing just add a filter sock filled with carbon and it will remove any orders. Once the dry rock is cured then add a few peices of live rock and you are good to go. If you are interested BRS ( Bulkreefsupply. com ) has a video on curing dry rock and If I remember correctly it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.00 to 2.50 per pound Also if you request certin sizes they are more then happy to accomadate.

Mark

Zappo
01/15/2012, 04:59 PM
Don't forget to check craigslist before spending a bunch of money on having rocks shipped to you. People frequently tear down their tanks and sell off their live rock for good prices, so you may be able to find what you need locally.