PDA

View Full Version : new to salt water fish wanting some tips

bell11
01/15/2012, 01:20 PM
hi everyone i am new to salt water and wanting to do plenty of research and looking around be for i start so there is no gigantic failure. the only thing i have done before is mess with cichild and i have no problems with them have a corner and 90 full of them going. i want to do salt water with my new use tank i bought and woundered if it would be good for a salt water tank. it is what i think a 55 gallon hexagon tank. its 31 tall 25 point to point and 22 flat to flat. i know that for salt water circulation is important so i thought it would be perfect, and was woundering if i should have it drilled for filtering or what, i was gonna buy it either was cause if in good shape silicone is good and he was just wanting it out of his was and only wanted 20 dollars for it so i couldn't resist.

fishgate
01/15/2012, 01:28 PM
A hex tank may be hard to light and the shape is tough to aquascape. But you can make anything work! The tank itself is the cheapest part of this hobby. So get what you like and build from there.

I have 2 27g hex tanks that are both Freshwater that I got really cheap and now wish I had not purchased. If anything ever happens to the occupants, they'll both be broken down and gotten rid of.

The advice I will give you is:

1. Whatever you think something will cost, multiply it by 4, then double it.
2. Let your tank cycle 2 months at least before adding any fish.

Denbf58
01/15/2012, 02:01 PM
[welcome] also a hexagon tank will limit what fish you can keep due to lack of swimming room.

bell11
01/15/2012, 03:21 PM
thanks guys i not wanting a lot of fish and always wanted a hex, prob just some clown fish and a goby or two, not for sure though i was wanting to drill center for pipe stand to put rock and coral around, but i still thinking on it and reading what kinda lighting would it take for a tank like that i though it would be just as easy ans anyother but i dont know thats why that i am on here though so i hopefully will know what i am doing when i decided for sure what i want and set it up