PDA

View Full Version : adding macroalgae to a cycling tank

Danzig
01/15/2012, 03:57 PM
hey all i was just wondering if adding macroalgae to a tank that is cycling is ok. I wanted to throw some in my fuge with a CFL bulb above the fuge to cut down on phosphate in my DT from my dry rock. Is this ok?

doctorgori
01/15/2012, 04:03 PM
yeah I didn't want any algae on the new rocks either so we did...at 1st I thought it might circumvent the cycle by removing the nitrogen, but somehow apparently it didn't

Danzig
01/15/2012, 05:35 PM
yeah I didn't want any algae on the new rocks either so we did...at 1st I thought it might circumvent the cycle by removing the nitrogen, but somehow apparently it didn't

Was thinking the same thing lol, anyone else?

cadre
01/15/2012, 07:02 PM
I don't see anything wrong with adding macros while you're cycling. That said, I doubt it will totally circumvent your cycle either. My personal experience is that when I added macros to my tank (during the cycle) most of them died. I didn't have much of a cycle though so maybe they just weren't getting enough nutrients.

Danzig
01/15/2012, 07:22 PM
well thats lame

thegrun
01/15/2012, 08:18 PM
Macro algae will help remove nitrates and phosphates from your system, but because they do not process ammonia or nitrites, they will not slow down your cycle and could help reduce diatom and algae blooms.

Reefing Newbie
01/15/2012, 08:28 PM
If you have a DSB in your fuge I would wait on the macro. The anerobic bacteria take longer to build up and function the way we want them to. The macro will outcompete the bacteria for nitrate so you are going to make that cycle take longer. If you don't have a DSB, go for the macro algae. I would look into these (http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html) for lighting your fuge. I am going to be using 3 over my 36 gallon fuge with a DSB and LR, no macro yet because I am waiting for the DSB to build up its bacteria.

Danzig
01/15/2012, 09:06 PM
If you have a DSB in your fuge I would wait on the macro. The anerobic bacteria take longer to build up and function the way we want them to. The macro will outcompete the bacteria for nitrate so you are going to make that cycle take longer. If you don't have a DSB, go for the macro algae. I would look into these (http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html) for lighting your fuge. I am going to be using 3 over my 36 gallon fuge with a DSB and LR, no macro yet because I am waiting for the DSB to build up its bacteria.

wow awesome bulb, much better than a regular cfl and a cheap aluminum reflector! Thanks so much sir

Reefing Newbie
01/15/2012, 09:23 PM
No problem there. They are bright once they get warmed up and I feel they will grow macro very well given you have the nutrients present for them to grow!

f3honda4me
01/15/2012, 10:04 PM
I use the CFL flood. They have them at menards/home depot type stores.

http://www.menards.com/main/lighting-fans/light-bulbs/fluorescent/23-watt-cfl-6500k-flood/p-1468242.htm

6500K cost me like $6.

I put my chaeto in the first day I got my LR. Didn't have any problems during my short cycle.

Danzig
01/15/2012, 10:24 PM
yah im heading off to HD or lowe's tomorrow for muriatic acid anyways ill pick some of those up. Thanks guys, i forgot about those bulbs, amazing little things arnt they.

alanbates12
01/15/2012, 10:28 PM
This has been a Great light for my macro. Trust me it's a lot of bang for your buck and you don't have to worry bout trying to mount it or heat.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/lighting/led-aquarium-lighting/jbj-nano-glo-magnetic-led-refugium-light.html
This is on a 20 gallon sump and has been great. You'll not be dissapointed.

Danzig
01/15/2012, 10:33 PM
no thanks. CFLs put off minimal heat. You can put your hand on them and its not a problem. I don't see the need to spend $55 on a fancy light that's going to sit under my stand for its entire life. a $6 bulb will work for me, its more convenient and readily available. Id wager 75% of people or more would agree with me, after all this hobby is expensive enough as is, why go spend money on something that has probably the same function as something else that's 90% cheaper. JMTC I appreciate your recommendation though.

lgray13
01/15/2012, 10:38 PM
I am actually cycling a tank now and put a bunch of chaeto in it to start and have added some ulva and caulpera. I did put some pellets in there to decompose and add nutrients to the water and so far have had no spikes, no outbreaks and all the macro is doing great.

f3honda4me
01/15/2012, 11:05 PM
Yea the cfl flood barely gets warm. I can touch it no problem. Gives off little heat.

Danzig
01/16/2012, 12:29 AM
I am actually cycling a tank now and put a bunch of chaeto in it to start and have added some ulva and caulpera. I did put some pellets in there to decompose and add nutrients to the water and so far have had no spikes, no outbreaks and all the macro is doing great.
Good to hear!
Yea the cfl flood barely gets warm. I can touch it no problem. Gives off little heat.

yeah i have CFLs all over my house and have used them for growing plants indoors. I have alot of experience with using CFLs and they never give off more heat than a bare hand can handle (no pun intended).

alanbates12
01/19/2012, 06:50 PM
no thanks. CFLs put off minimal heat. You can put your hand on them and its not a problem. I don't see the need to spend $55 on a fancy light that's going to sit under my stand for its entire life. a $6 bulb will work for me, its more convenient and readily available. Id wager 75% of people or more would agree with me, after all this hobby is expensive enough as is, why go spend money on something that has probably the same function as something else that's 90% cheaper. JMTC I appreciate your recommendation though.

I understand the cost on the top end and the energy savings is small but when you consider the life cycle of LED and power consumption space saving, it's not as bad as you make it out to be. Best of luck

alanbates12
01/19/2012, 11:28 PM
Danzig thought you may be interested to see this. This data I found on www.eartheasy.com

Cost Comparison between LEDs, CFLs and Incandescent light bulbs

LED CFL Incandescent
Light bulb projected lifespan 50,000 hours 10,000 hours 1,200 hours
Watts per bulb (equiv. 60 watts) 6 14 60
Cost per bulb $35.95 $3.95 $1.25
KWh of electricity used over
50,000 hours 300 700 3000
Cost of elec (@ 0.10per KWh) $30 $70 $300
Bulbs needed for 50k hrs of use 1 5 42
Equivalent 50k hrs bulb cost $35.95 $19.75 $52.50
Total cost for 50k hours $65.95 $89.75 $352.50

It pays to see the whole picture.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/20/2012, 07:31 AM
FWIW, many macroalgae take up ammonia just as well and in some cases preferentially to nitrate. So it may reduce the toxicity of the cycle, but it won't prevent cycling, IMO. :)