PDA

View Full Version : Web control question

Attreui
01/15/2012, 05:32 PM
I am a little confused about something in regards to network control. I am considering the apex JR. It has the option of coming without the screen module. It says on the site that it can be configured with the web interface which would make sense. However, while reading the manual, I noticed that you can't calibrate or really even enable or change settings for probes etc from the web interface. If this is the case, how can selling the unit without the display be usable? I would need to add the Probe module for ph and would have no way to set it up. Is the manual outdated or is this the reality?

RussM
01/15/2012, 06:10 PM
The manual is a bit outdated. Current firmware allows you to do everything via the web interface (without the display)

bazineta
01/15/2012, 07:40 PM
If I'm correct, the only thing that you can't do without the display now is have an audible alarm, as the speaker is located in the display unit. Everything else can be configured via the web interface.

Berggy
01/19/2012, 10:16 AM
The manual is a bit outdated. Current firmware allows you to do everything via the web interface (without the display)

Is this confirmed? I would love an Apex base unit but have no use for a display and would REALLY love to keep the extra money.

aquamanic
01/19/2012, 10:50 AM
Just remember that while you can do everything via the web interface, if you lose your network connection you can do NOTHING.

RussM
01/19/2012, 11:07 AM
Last year, when the Apex Jr started shipping, the display became an optional component for that model. In order to operate without a display, the Apex family firmware & web pages HAD to incorporate all normal functionality, configuration, and management features into the web interface.

There are only 2 configuration items I am aware of that can currently only be done via the display head, and both are rarely used and are generally of no interest to the vast majority of Apex owners.

aquamanic
01/19/2012, 12:32 PM
There are only 2 configuration items I am aware of that can currently only be done via the display head

True but as I've pointed out before (as have you Russ), if you forget your password there is no way to reset it without a display module. You have to request and download a special firmware, apply it and start over. To me, that and the fact that if you lose connectivity you're stuck are big issues. Again, for me, the peace of mind from that, the ability to push button feed cycles with wet hands, audible alarms (I saved my tank one night during a power failure) and to be able to look at a glance and see your status, probe values, etc, make it worth the money.

RussM
01/19/2012, 12:37 PM
True but as I've pointed out before (as have you Russ), if you forget your password there is no way to reset it without a display module. You have to request and download a special firmware, apply it and start over. To me, that and the fact that if you lose connectivity you're stuck are big issues. Again, for me, the peace of mind from that, the ability to push button feed cycles with wet hands, audible alarms (I saved my tank one night during a power failure) and to be able to look at a glance and see your status, probe values, etc, make it worth the money.
Well said! I personally would have the display on-hand even if I rarely used it.