PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Tunze Pumps - Please Help!

bradjc
01/15/2012, 09:32 PM
Help Needed!

I recently purchased 2 Tunze 6105 Pumps and I have the cable and the VDM module for the Apex.

:headwalls:
Here is my problem with a simple example (see same profile setups below).

I have them both set at RtFlush and they work fine. If I set them for Wave1 then it seems like either one of both will stop working. (I can't even manually turn on the outlet to get them to go back on)The only way to get them working again is to unplug them from the controller then unplug them from the wall then plug them back into the wall and then into the controller. This is a simple example I tried lots of other profiles but it seems like anytime I try to cycle it off and on to get a pulse it only works for a short time. Besides being off I did not try to run them below 30%.

RtFlush
Synchronize: Disabled
Divide by 10:Disabled
Initial off time: 30
On time: 30
Off time: 30
Min Intensity: 30
Max Intensity:90

Wave1
Synchronize: Enabled
Divide by 10: Disabled
Initial off time: 0
On time: 5
Off time: 5
Min Intensity: 0
Max Intensity:100

Anyone experience this. I'm not getting what I would like out of these Tunze pumps. I want a rocking motion in the tank and it seems that only by cycling on and off do I get that and I can't do that because they become unresponsive with the controller.

alanbates12
01/15/2012, 10:16 PM
Going to buy the same for my system. Tagging along. Sorry about asking you this but guess I need to buy a VDM to run the pumps or can you do it off a virtual outlet? Good luck

bradjc
01/16/2012, 02:42 PM
I just tried running Wave1 for just one day.
I did take off the Synchronize that is now disabled.

My left one is working fine but my right one is stuck on. Even if I manually hit the switch to off it stays on.

This is really frustrating.

bradjc
01/16/2012, 03:10 PM
alanbates12 yes you have to get the VDM to run the pumps. They become outlets in Apex.

RussM
01/16/2012, 04:35 PM
A VDM is only required to control Tunze controllable pumps if you have an Apex Lite or Apex Jr. The VarSpd ports in the Apex (I mean the top-of-line Apex) are the same as the VarSpd ports in the VDM, and will control up to 4 Tunze pumps. So the only time a VDM is needed for an Apex to control Tunze pumps is if you need to control more than 4 pumps, or if the built-in ports are used for something else (like dimmable lighting control)

wwanthony
01/16/2012, 06:33 PM
I have never really gotten my Tunzes to work well with my Apex. They have functioned very inconsistently....and I have had multiple Apex controllers. I am think of moving them to a Tunze controller to see if I get better results. And I agree.....very, very frustrating.

bradjc
01/16/2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah that is exactly my problem. They are very inconsitent. The pumps work fine when they are off the controller.

Right now it just seems like one is doing it but both were eariler. I'm testing it out fully to try to get down to the root of the issue. I think the pump doesn't like being controlled by the Apex which is the whole reason I bought it.

schwaggs
01/16/2012, 09:24 PM
I have been running 6101 and 6105 pumps for years without issues so this should work perfectly.

Can you post the code on your outlets and the latest profile settings? Are you using the factory Tunze cable or have you extended it at all?

bradjc
01/17/2012, 08:39 PM
They seem to be working a little better now. Here is what I think is the issue. Anytime I change their module and/or manually turn on or off the switch they need to be unplugged from the wall and the controller before they will work again.

wwanthony
01/19/2012, 11:30 AM
They seem to be working a little better now. Here is what I think is the issue. Anytime I change their module and/or manually turn on or off the switch they need to be unplugged from the wall and the controller before they will work again.

Glad that helped. I still don't think that the should be necessary. I simply don't think the Apex implementation is as good as Tunze. I love my Apex by the way.

I received my Tunze 7096 controller and hooked it up. I have a 2inch plus wave in my tank 60x30x24. I could never get the Apex to dial in this way.

Oh well......