PDA

View Full Version : New tank height and overflow questions

Grizzle
01/15/2012, 09:35 PM
I currently have a 48 X 30 X 18" tank with a coast to coast overflo. I am moving 2000 miles away so have decided to build a new tank in my new location.

It will be a glass / wood combination. I have not finalized the size yet but I 'think" it will be 72 X 30 X 24" H although if I can squeeze enough space I may go to 96 X 30 X 24. If anyone has any input into tank height I am open to it as 24" is not cast in stone!

I am trying to decide on the best overflo to put in it and still maximize the floor space in the main aquarium. I like the coast to coast because its very quiet when adjusted right but it does take up main tank room. I do not want anything out the back. Because I am building the tank I can drill holes wherever they are needed and put in any sump design I want.

Thanks

uncleof6
01/16/2012, 08:47 PM
I currently have a 48 X 30 X 18" tank with a coast to coast overflo. I am moving 2000 miles away so have decided to build a new tank in my new location.

It will be a glass / wood combination. I have not finalized the size yet but I 'think" it will be 72 X 30 X 24" H although if I can squeeze enough space I may go to 96 X 30 X 24. If anyone has any input into tank height I am open to it as 24" is not cast in stone!

I am trying to decide on the best overflo to put in it and still maximize the floor space in the main aquarium. I like the coast to coast because its very quiet when adjusted right but it does take up main tank room. I do not want anything out the back. Because I am building the tank I can drill holes wherever they are needed and put in any sump design I want.

Thanks

Good tank dimensions, wide and shallow are the recommended tanks for marine systems. Deep, narrow tanks, do not breath well for a marine system. You could go up to 30" high, with out too much concern, other than sufficient light penetration. 24" - 26" be good for T5 lighting, deeper, would consider MH, or higher light liking critters a bit higher in the tank.

And there is only one drain system for these big tanks, however, you are going to have to go out the back, with the plumbing, and any overflow other than a coast to coast is not going to skim the tank well. You are going to have to sacrifice some of your desires, for function's sake. If you are wanting to slam the tank against the wall, I would not advise it. You will, for some reason or another, at one point or another, require access to the back of the tank.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Here is a curve ball--it is better to have a large manageable tank for the given space, than manage to fit a larger tank in a given space.

hebygb
01/17/2012, 10:44 AM
+1 with what Uncleof6 said.

IMHO an external C2C with the Beananimal method would be the only way to go.

So with the same overall footprint you may have a XX" x 24" x 24" tank. 24" is about as perfect as it gets for most linear lighting options.

jerpa
01/17/2012, 11:46 AM
After setting up the rock in my new 24" deep 120 last night I don't think I would go more than 30" tall and I don't think I'd even do that. I love a wide tank front to back that can be viewed from three sides but the location of the tank may dictate otherwise. I also agree an external coast to coast will work best and agree there will be some reason you have to get behind that thing at some point.