PDA

View Full Version : Radion coverage question

reefknight
01/15/2012, 10:05 PM
Looking to possibly ditch my T-5's as they seem to be bleaching my SPS's and having some general issues. Looking for something that maybe I can have more control over. Considering the Radion fixture but would like to see how many units it would take to effectively cover a 60x30x25 mixed reef.

skyhawkn5262y
01/15/2012, 11:03 PM
The Radion's have a pretty healthy 24" x 24" spread. I would think 3 would be plenty for you. I have 2 on my 90 and it's more than enough.

reefknight
01/15/2012, 11:12 PM
Do you find that your tank is lit side to side completely? Or do you have shadowing or die off towards the sides? My tank currently has a 48" ATI PM fixture and has some shadowing on the ends. I actually like this as it allows me to place corals that want a little less light in these areas.

skyhawkn5262y
01/15/2012, 11:25 PM
It's definitely completely lit up. This isn't a problem for me though because I have a lot of overhanging rocks which give me a lot of shaded/reduced light areas.

reefknight
01/15/2012, 11:34 PM
That's very helpful to know. I have two islands that have wider bases and narrower tops, that run front to back with a chasm between the two and no braces on my display either.

This makes me wonder if I can use two units effectively due to the arrangement of my display.

skyhawkn5262y
01/15/2012, 11:48 PM
From what you are saying, it's definitely possible that you would only need 2. You could always buy additional fixture(s) if you needed them.

reefknight
01/17/2012, 10:36 AM
From what you are saying, it's definitely possible that you would only need 2. You could always buy additional fixture(s) if you needed them.

Thank you for your suggestion, greatly appreciated. Hoping that one of the folks from Ecotech will chime in, lol. Just giving them a raze, as I know their customer service to be great.

EcoTech Service
01/19/2012, 08:44 AM
While you could probably get away with (2) fixtures on your 60x30x25" aquarium, I would recommend three for optimal light output. Perhaps start with two and plan for a second in the future if desired.

Tetra84
01/19/2012, 12:33 PM
don't mean to hijack, but it seemed like a good place to ask..

for a tank that's 36x18 would it be better to run 2 radions:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6726830507_9a2ee26a59_o.jpg

would one configuration have better coverage than the other?

EcoTech Service
01/19/2012, 01:53 PM
Due to the fact that the tank is only 18" wide, I would recommend running them end to end, as displayed in the first graphic on top.

blutang007
01/19/2012, 11:44 PM
Now if the tank is 48x24x24 Would 2 units end to end work with more spread or side by side.. Please let me know thanks for all your help..:spin1:

reefknight
01/20/2012, 09:30 AM
While you could probably get away with (2) fixtures on your 60x30x25" aquarium, I would recommend three for optimal light output. Perhaps start with two and plan for a second in the future if desired.

Would you run these parallel or perpendicular to the display tank? Also do you have any other mounting options that might be available soon for these? Maybe similar to the light rack used by AI? Having two steel cables ran to the ceiling is one thing, four to six and the wife may have a few words with me. :furious:

Thank you for the reply and the great customer support that EcoTech always provides.

EcoTech Service
01/20/2012, 04:03 PM
Now if the tank is 48x24x24 Would 2 units end to end work with more spread or side by side.. Please let me know thanks for all your help..:spin1:
It really doesn't make a major difference, but I would recommend running them side by side with the buttons facing the front of the aquarium.

Would you run these parallel or perpendicular to the display tank? Also do you have any other mounting options that might be available soon for these? Maybe similar to the light rack used by AI? Having two steel cables ran to the ceiling is one thing, four to six and the wife may have a few words with me. :furious:

Thank you for the reply and the great customer support that EcoTech always provides.
I would likely run them parallel to the display tank. At this time, we are offering the included mounting hardware as well as the Premium Hanging Kit.

If you would like to connect several lights using only one or two hanging kits, perhaps you can use aluminum mounting bars (connecting multiple lights with a hanging kit on the ends) as others have used. This will allow for a clean installation without having tons of cables.

blutang007
01/22/2012, 11:27 AM
Hey thanks for your input. :)

EcoTech Service
01/22/2012, 12:01 PM
:thumbsup: