PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer question (EuroReef)

shiver905
01/16/2012, 01:35 AM
I have a chance to upgrade my Bubble Magus BM100.

I have three Options.

Euro Reef 135
Euro Reef 180
Reef octopus 150

My Display is 90g
My sump is 30g
(above are no displacement measurements)

I dont want to overskim but id like a skimmer that can handle a large bioload for my tank.

Froggy
01/16/2012, 07:11 AM
I have a chance to upgrade my Bubble Magus BM100.

I have three Options.

Euro Reef 135
Euro Reef 180
Reef octopus 150

My Display is 90g
My sump is 30g
(above are no displacement measurements)

I dont want to overskim but id like a skimmer that can handle a large bioload for my tank.

I have a Euroreef RS 250 on my 120 and it does a great job of skimming. You would be happy with the 180 on that size tank.

I have never used the Reef Octopus but have heard good things about them as well.

Joe

moondoggy4
01/16/2012, 12:07 PM
I would go with the ER 135 for your tank, I also have the ER 180.

reefknight
01/16/2012, 12:16 PM
My previous display was a 90gal with about a 25gal sump and I ran a Euroreef 135 with no problems. Loved that skimmer/ tank combo. I ran a pretty heavy bioload on mine as well as it was packed out with coral, trio of Bartletts anthias, pair of clowns, blenny, foxface, purple tang and a sunburst anthias. Fed 2x a day with frozen & pellets.

meat1974
01/16/2012, 10:10 PM
Both of the Euro reef skimmers are good choices in my opinion.

aquaticartist
01/16/2012, 10:48 PM
The 135 is one of my favorites, but the 180 sounds like a good idea, specially if you plan on upgrading your system at a later time.

shiver905
01/17/2012, 12:57 AM
Im not really shure if its worth the upgrade.

would the euroreef rs 135 be a notable upgrade from the Bubble Magus BM100.

They are rated the same, but with that said i know some companies over rate.

moondoggy4
01/17/2012, 01:21 AM
You really need to go by real world ratings such as I have a similar size tank and I am happy with this skimmer not by what so an so manufacture says. Doing an upgrade is up to you is your skimmer keeping up are you dumping the cup 3 times a day. Some people just like to try something different.

Borchers
01/17/2012, 01:29 AM
I am a EuroReef user 6 yrs now and I can say that they really do what they say they can do. If its rated for a 120 they mean a fully stocked 120. So the RS180 will do awesome and is a great upgrade.

Nizz
01/17/2012, 02:18 AM
If you are talking about reef dynamics which used to be euro reef. Then they have their actually rating on there site. I am thinking of using them myself.

shiver905
01/17/2012, 02:27 AM
Im not shure if My bubble magus is working properly. I pull out a cup of tea color every 4 days.

I feed 2x or 3x a day
I also run Bio pellets

3.5" sailfin tang
4" yellow tang
1x clown
3x barletts anthias
3x Fire dart fish goby
Azure damsel

Tank is stocked with SPS LPS and clams
Feels like I should get ALOT more skimate.

reefknight
01/17/2012, 10:18 AM
Im not really shure if its worth the upgrade.

would the euroreef rs 135 be a notable upgrade from the Bubble Magus BM100.

They are rated the same, but with that said i know some companies over rate.

I'm going to answer this as truthfully as I can since I do not have experience with the BM line of skimmer. If you want a skimmer that is a work horse, truly set and forget, pulls dark green gunk out (once you have it dialed in) and is (IMO) pretty much trouble free, purchase a Euroreef skimmer. Mine was actually the model before the RC135, when they had a numbering system of 6-2 or something like that. It was pretty old and out does many high dollar skimmers. It destroyed a KZ small Revolution skimmer, over 1k for that skimmer.

As far as dialing in, its just the standpipe height that I worried about. I took the silencer off and ran the air input wide open. If I didn't clean the neck out about every 3 days, I had sludge in the neck. My tank looked amazing when I ran that skimmer.

I believe in the skimmer so much that I sold it to a close friend along with my old set up. He's cycling his tank currently. I also have an RC80 on my 30gal cube for over 5yrs. It pulls mostly green tea these days as its really only a holding tank for me. I over sized the crap out of that one. When it was my main tank and I was feeding fish in it, I had better production.

Here again, this is my experience with their skimmers. Unfortunately it seems that everyone has different experiences with equipment.

HTH

96slowbra
01/17/2012, 11:27 AM
if you like euro reef, and want accurate numbers, you should look at reef dynamics page.
http://www.reefdynamics.com/Standard-In-Sump-Protein-Skimmers-s/1.htm