PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on my CUC

Thizzelle686
01/16/2012, 07:40 AM
I am currently cycling my 25 gallon tank. I started off with about 25lbs of base/dry rock and recently seeded it with some live sand and 2 small pieces of live rock. I know that once my cycling goes through its phase then the next step will be to add my CUC.

John from reefcleaners.org has recommended the following:
20 Dwarf Ceriths
9 Nassarius Vibex
2 Tongan Nassarius
9 Florida Ceriths
7 Assorted Hermits
6 Banded Trochus
1 Chiton
1 Limpet
1 package of pods (to help seed my tank)

So my questions are this:
1. How does this stocking list look? What would you add or take away?
2. Is this to much to add all at once? I am afraid that I will not be able to sustain such a large population before I have any serious algae build-up.
3. Should I maybe do half now and then supplement as needed.

It is also important to know that I will be adding two small cleaner shrimp to this mix once I get my first pair of fish: Perculas! I plan on keeping 4 fish in total. The tank will be mostly a LPS tank. It might also be useful to know that I am running a kessil 15k led light and a hydor slim skim nano protein skimmer. My sand bed is 2.5 inches.

Thanks for looking. I find the CUC to be one of the most perplexing part of this hobby because there are so many different approaches to getting the job done. Any insight into my questions would be greatly appreciated.

gmate
01/16/2012, 11:12 AM
I run a 55g with 20 hermits and 6 turbos and it's enough for my tank. I always thought reefcleaners goes crazy with a CUC, but that's my opinion. Looks to be more than enough, IMO.

TjwBlake
01/16/2012, 11:59 AM
looks on the heavy side for sure. the 6 trochus themselves would mow down most of your algae no problem. I have an 8gallon tank with a banded trochus, 2 nerite, 1 false trochus, and 2 hermits and so far they handle things quite well.

maybe half it and add more of what you need as you go.

Thizzelle686
01/16/2012, 12:58 PM
What would you recommend that I start off with that would give me a healthy population to build on as needed?