PDA

View Full Version : Best way to set up a QT?

tony53176
01/16/2012, 06:29 PM
I wanted to get the opinions of some of the experts here on the best way to set up a QT.

I had read on another forum that a guy with 20 years experience sets his QT up at an SG of 1.016, he leaves it like this for 2 weeks constantly checking ammonia and alkalinity then does 10% daily water changes with water from the DT. Then after the third week, if the fish look good then he adds them to the DT.

He said that having the SG so low is like dipping the fish and shocking any parasites or bacteria, does this sound like a good way to go? or should I just use the water from my DT to fill the QT?

any input on this would be great, I'm anxious to get our first fish in the QT :D

00Warpig00
01/16/2012, 08:01 PM
My past Qt process has been similar. Not an expert by any means, but I normally do 1.015 or so for three weeks and the last week if everything is good. The fourth week doing small water changes every day with 1.025 saltwater to bring up the salinity to match my DT. when the two match at 1.025 If all is still well with the fish I take a gallon or two of water out of my QT tank and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and then net the fish and move him to the bucket and then drip acclimate from the big tank to the bucket until temp matches. Then I net the fish from the bucket and move to the DT. Seems to work for me so far. NOTE: if my temp and salinity both match between QT and DT I would just net the fish and move him to the DT. but so far that hasnt happened. My tanks NEVER seem to temp match. Difference in room temps as they are in different rooms and It's warm enough in my place that I rarely need a heater in my DT

Nick

tony53176
01/16/2012, 09:15 PM
ok cool sounds like I'm on the right track then, thanks