PDA

View Full Version : What LED's for my shallow reef? Kessils??

WT_JayJay
01/16/2012, 10:10 PM
Setting up a shallow sps dominated reef soon. The tank is 36"/24"/12". I still love some of my lps corals so need lighting that will work with them too with such a shallow tank.

Iv'e currently got some custom 120w led fixtures over my 75g. Thinking about using one of them over it BUTTT ive also been looking into getting two Kessil A150W.

Anyone had good luck with them?

coit
01/17/2012, 01:54 AM
I'll leave any long terms experiences to people who've had them longer than a couple of hours, but I'd say 2 or 3 if you really want to light the hell out of things would be fine. They're not a light I would recommend if you're only going to buy one - the light source is so small and so intense that just about anything it hits casts a very stark shadow, so some areas can end up very dark unless you're really careful about your tank-scaping skills. They will cover 24x24 pretty well I think, but, as I said, it's just a matter of them being such an intense point source that would make 1 every 2' less attractive than overlapping them (even just a little) would be.