PDA

View Full Version : GBTA went thru the blender..

TruReef
01/17/2012, 10:46 AM
Last week I did a 50% water change with a different salt mix than I normally use. I previously used Oceanic and switched to Instant Ocean because I always had really high salt and wanted it lower. During water change I siphoned the sand and cleaned a rock of some algae. I also moved one rock that was close to my GBTA. Nothing major, just a little shift. It was a normal water change for me. The next morning I looked over the tank as I do every morning and noticed the GBTA was mia, it had been living in this spot for 2.5 years. After a little looking I found it along the back wall in a fairly easy spot to get to, so I went in after him and replaced it back to his old home. It attached to the rock in no time and the clowns went right back in their home. :bounce1: It stayed in this spot while I was home but I had to go to work. So fast forward and when I get home it has moved again, further back into the rock-work where I can't get to it. I decide to let it roam to find a new "happy place" and he does so for the next 5 days. Moving around the right side of the tank only, it must have attached to 10 different spots, none of which worked for him. Yesterday I get home from work and look over at the tank and see a green whirly bird on the end of my MP40 and I'm like *** is that.. I knew instantly what it was as I got closer and could smell the gut wrenching smell of death we all hate. I removed it from the wet side and tossed it the trash. RIP GBTA.. I had it for probably close to 9 years and now it's gone.. Looking back, I probably should have turned the vortechs down a little till it settled but with it being in my system so long I figured it knew the layout pretty well. I'm pretty bummed about it, but I gotta look at the bright side, now I can get a flame bta or rbta. I've read bta's don't ship well, but I might have to try with this kind of stuff out there.:inlove:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/400280_360473003966716_206890082658343_1537976_502901821_n.jpg

TruReef
01/17/2012, 11:05 AM
On a side note: everything else in the tank looks great. After the water change I also changed carbon and gac. I'm sure that helped clean up the blended bta smoothie. The skimmer cup was full of nasty.....