PDA

View Full Version : Bio Diesel Project; Input Appreciated

new2u
01/17/2012, 11:34 AM
Hey there guys,

I used to be a lot more active on these forums, but frankly school and time has gotten in the way. I still have a great 120 gallon at home, everything is doing incredibly well under my mother’s husbandry while I’m up at school. I’m currently studying mechanical engineering at Vanderbilt university, and working on my senior design project. Its been thrown around before, but we’re looking at creating biodiesel from algae.

Well, the project itself is a chemical engineering affair, but I decided to hop in as an ME due to my knowledge of the community. I figure since I used to use this outlet so extensively, y’all might have some ideas for me. Since I’m the lone Mechanical I’ve taken the system design under my wing. Here are a couple of things I’m thinking about

Algal Species
Seems simple, but online I can’t really find any information on selection.

Tank Shape-
Thinking long rectangular prism, just deep enough for lighting penetration to be optimal. Maybe we could stack the trays?

Tank Size-
Again, I’m thinking stacking could be very beneficial but that would be awfully heavy. Possibly a larger tank that could be sun lit?

Tank Lighting-
I’m thinking LEDs are going to be the way to go, but I’m planning on doing a little cost analysis on VHOs, Halides, T-5s and LEDs factoring in replacement cost. However, the lack of heat addition is a pretty great thing too. Could natural lighting be an option in a large outdoor grow tank?

Tank Flow-
Should I look at non directional flow such as wave boxes? It could be cheap to implement if your custom making the grow tanks anyways.

Additives
We all know that algae does well under the influence of nitrate, phosphate to an extent and I assume that most microalgae are influenced by pH and salinity. Should I look at dosing nitrate (what a crazy thought)

As a conclusion, I know this is a monumental project, we’re just trying to do somewhat of an audit and efficiency conclusions. We do plan on paper napkining a system design down the road, but I’d really like to just think of angles to consider. Thanks for reading and adding, I’m really all about advice.

-Willis

smellslikeTUNA
01/17/2012, 11:42 AM
Not sure on the answers to your questions but will def be tagging along in this. I am also in my senior year (victory lap technically) at CU Boulder and biodiesel is fairly popular here. Don't beleive there are any companies going the algae route though, interested to know how this turns out!

xian
01/17/2012, 04:56 PM
If you do some research there are several algae species that are of interest for biofuel. You may not find anything online but you do have that wonderful VU database at your fingers. I would start with some journals and publications. Maybe ask your professors on tips. If I had to go on my very limited knowledge of algal biology some species of diatom, or other golden algae would be the richest source of oils.

The thing you are going for is efficiency. You might want to see what others are using but I believe low shallow trays are the best. As for lighting? How about seeing what you can do with natural sunlight? Can't get cheaper than that.