PDA

View Full Version : Starry vs Lawnmower blenny for algae control

hobbzz
01/17/2012, 02:25 PM
Seeing as how the search function isn't working yet, Google hasn't come up with much. I like both of these fish, and so far have only seen a couple threads comparing them. I would be willing to feed after any algae is gone. So which one is generally more interested in algae.

davocean
01/17/2012, 02:29 PM
I have read some comments on the starry being slightly more aggressive to some tank mates, though I have never had one and have no personal exp on this.
I have had and love/trust lawnmowers though, great personality and good for algae control especially for smaller tanks that may not be big enough to house tangs.

hobbzz
01/17/2012, 02:49 PM
I also read that about the starry's. In your experience are lawnmowers kind o reclusive? I've also read that starrys are a little more bold and have "bigger" personalities, and that lawnmowers are kind of shy.

davocean
01/17/2012, 02:57 PM
My lawnmowers have all had great personality and out in the open often, and somewhat fearless.
Often they sit there and watch me about as much as I watch them.

calbert0
01/17/2012, 03:34 PM
My Starry Blenny did not touch hair algae.....

hobbzz
01/17/2012, 03:40 PM
What about algae in general? I don't currently have HA of any color.

Laborator
01/17/2012, 03:45 PM
Lawnmower blenny!

davocean
01/17/2012, 03:47 PM
They also eat at the film algae that grows on glass panels, you'll usually see their mouth marks where they have been eating it.
Of course regular fish food will sustain them if you don't have any algae issues.
LMB's are bulldog pretty, they tend to really grow on people after a while.

seapug
01/17/2012, 04:44 PM
It's not likely either of them will solve a hair algae problem. As Davocean mentioned, they tend to prefer films than turf.

While I do think my Starry blenny is quite comical and enjoy his personality (and can be really cool looking), when they are in a tank with fish that are fed, they tend to get a bit lazy and fat and spend more time sunbathing on the tabling acros than cleaning the tank.

DrSalty
01/17/2012, 04:45 PM
If you are getting the blenny predominantly for algae control, I would go for the lawnmower blenny. I have a starry blenny - which I highly recommend, but he is hit-or-miss with algae removal. He'll occasionally take a nip here and there but I wouldn't be able to rely on him to remove very much. He's got a great personality and is always entertaining. He gets along well with his tank mates (clown, 6 line wrasse, valentini puffer), but did show some aggression to a fathead anthias I tried adding. Let me know if you have any other questions.

DrBegalke
01/17/2012, 04:48 PM
I have owned both. I agree that lawnmower's are more consistent algae eaters.

Matthew91
01/17/2012, 04:55 PM
I have to agree with DrBegalke. My lawnmower just loves the hair algae. He cleared a good 8" of hair algae on my glass in less than a couple days

Khemul
01/17/2012, 05:24 PM
I agree that Lawnmowers seem to little more inclined towards algae. Or maybe it'd be more accurate to say the Starry Blennies seem more open to other foods. Either way once both types realize that there is more to life then algae they are about equal for algae control. It is just a matter of how quickly they catch on to that other food (and from what I've noticed the LMB's are a little more stubborn there).

regent2010
01/17/2012, 05:29 PM
my Lawnmower blenny's tummy always bigger than his own head 2 times. but i only feed the tank once a day !

hobbzz
01/17/2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

natebedwell06
01/17/2012, 06:57 PM
never had an algae blenny, but i have a starry blenny that is super friendly towards other fish and eats all the algae he can get in his mouth at a time

JackiB
01/17/2012, 08:00 PM
I have a starry and his belly is definitely bigger than his head! I actually had to look it up to make sure that was normal. I have recently upgraded to my 120 from a 75 so it is still fairly young and still getting algae blooms and he loves it! He is definitely a character and fun to watch.

JMartin104
01/17/2012, 08:21 PM
My starry nips here and there on algae but if I had to rely on him for algae control, I'd be in trouble. I got him mostly because I thought he was cool and looks like Jeff from Men in Black II (subway worm).

nanito
01/17/2012, 09:03 PM
Controling the nutrients in the system is the best way.

TigeBell
01/17/2012, 09:21 PM
I have a starry that keeps my sixline in check. :D They were both introduced at the same time.

My starry does eat algae and when I open then the top to feed flake food, he is hovering waiting for me to put the flakes into the water column. I have no regrets with the decision I made between the lawnmower and starry. The starry's personality is very funny and he hides very well in my rock work.

aandfsoccr04
01/17/2012, 10:37 PM
I'm kinda torn between the two and don't have an algae problem. Just based on fish personality, which of the two would you recommend?

TigeBell
01/18/2012, 08:44 AM
One consideration is that the starry will be 1/2 inch bigger once fully grown.

Lawmower = 5 inches
Starry = 5.5 inches

Fish coloring I would give the Starry the edge here since the coloring is not going to blend into your sand.

I would recommend the Starry but I'm bias. ;) Both seemed to have the same personality when I bought mine at the LFS.

globe
01/18/2012, 09:02 AM
would a lawnmower attack a watchman goby? I have read they will attack species that are similar in appearance

TigeBell
01/18/2012, 09:28 AM
would a lawnmower attack a watchman goby? I have read they will attack species that are similar in appearance

Mine does not attack the Diamond Watchman Goby at all. He just keeps the sixline in check and doesn't like the dwarf angel that is currently in the tank. However, I think he might be a bully at times... Goes with his personality. ;)

Khemul
01/18/2012, 05:08 PM
I'm kinda torn between the two and don't have an algae problem. Just based on fish personality, which of the two would you recommend?

I have both in my tank. They are roughly the same personality-wise. My Starry seems more mischievous and playful while the Lawnmower seems more outgoing and aggressive, but I think that is more of a result of tank hierarchy rather then personality (I've seen the Starry get just as aggressive as the Lawnmower if a new fish invades his territory). The Starry seems to prefer hiding in the shadows more while the Lawnmower blends with the rock. Other then that exact same behavior.

sbtdark
01/18/2012, 06:43 PM
I agree, none of them will eat algae, get a bunch of hermits.

stew07
08/18/2015, 08:55 PM
What about a black sailfin blenny? Personality? shy? Smaller than the starry blenny?