PDA

View Full Version : Outlet Malfunction

Metal Man 1221
01/17/2012, 11:30 PM
Hello,

Recently, I have noticed an issue that has been occurring with my lighting outlet. Occasionally, but only at night. when my topoff pump turns off, my lights flicker briefly. Lights are on outlet 7 top off pump on 8. It doesn't happen every time, but I have seen it happen up to 3 times with in a half hour.

Any Ideas?

I was thinking about switching the lights with a different piece of equipment to get them away from the mechanical relay that the topoff pump is on. But at the moment I don't feel like reprogramming any thing.

Thanks.

aquamanic
01/18/2012, 08:00 AM
It's a somewhat common problem. The TRIAC outlet (#7) is getting interference from the mechanical outlet (#8). Moving the device on 7 to a different outlet is the easiest solution.

Not sure why some devices are so sensitive but it always seems to be lighting that has the problem. Try swapping it with a pump (put a pump on #7 and the lights someplace else).

Metal Man 1221
01/18/2012, 06:40 PM
Thats kind of what I figured was going on.

I will swap it with a maxi jet in my sump and see how that works.

Thanks.

Metal Man 1221
01/26/2012, 04:42 PM
Well I moved the lights on to an outlet away from outlets 4 and 8. I didn't see anything for a while, but a few nights ago I caught it doing it again. Would the relays cause interference on not just adjacent outlets?

I was thinking about moving it to outlet 1 or 5 to maybe solve the problem, but I haven't had the time. I also don't want to reprogram if all of the solid state outlets will be affected.

aquamanic
01/27/2012, 01:39 PM
Before you move things again, try putting the lights on a small outlet strip, plugging the outlet strip into the same outlet you had the lights. No reprogramming necessary.

Landsailor
01/27/2012, 01:53 PM
It sounds to me like it has to do with the harmonics that the light's ballast is throwing back into the line. Ballasts are horribly "noisy" on the line and all it takes is a slight current going backwards to induce a current in another trace on the PCB (ala a transformer).