PDA

View Full Version : Got Stung :(

Lofty
01/18/2012, 07:58 AM
I got stung by the LR as I was selecting pieces at the LFS about a month ago. Based on the other forum posts I could find about being stung by live rock, I dont think it was a bristle worm as there was only 1 dark bronwish barb. I thought I dug it out with some cuticle clippers at the time, but now the area is swelling up and bumpy. It itches pretty bad and some areas, that I had squeezed like a pimple (really hard) are seeping a little blood and puss. I dont feel anything other than the itchyness and slightly annoying pain when rubbing the area.

Any suggestions of what to do at this point? Its been a month since the actual sting. At this point Ive been letting it run its course, but its really annoying.

Thanks.

wolfador
01/18/2012, 08:10 AM
See a doctor

natebedwell06
01/18/2012, 08:24 AM
sounds like a tube worm, probably didnt get all the remains out

Curious George
01/18/2012, 08:46 AM
I would definitly go the Dr. and get checked out. Different stuff effects people in different ways. Better to be safe

Lofty
01/18/2012, 09:40 AM
Ok 2 for the doc..... but no time for that right now... im not dying so it can wait... any other ideas on what it might have been so I can inform the doc when I get a chance to go.

schristi69
01/18/2012, 10:19 AM
Hydrogen Peroxide or rubbing alcohol

Sugar Magnolia
01/18/2012, 10:30 AM
Common sense says go to the doctor. It could have been from the shell of a vermetid snail. Their tubes are pretty sharp. Sounds to me like it's gotten infected and needs to be looked at by a doctor asap.

wolfador
01/18/2012, 10:33 AM
im not dying so it can wait...

you could be...... time to post on RC but not see a Dr? priorities....

RtReef
01/18/2012, 10:37 AM
Hydrogen Peroxide or rubbing alcohol

My favorite turn to, all purpose, healers.lol Scrub it really hard with the coarse side of the sponge and antibacterial soap. Keep doing that for a few days and see if it helps. Doctor would be my last resort also:hmm5:

Lofty
01/18/2012, 11:08 AM
My favorite turn to, all purpose, healers.lol Scrub it really hard with the coarse side of the sponge and antibacterial soap. Keep doing that for a few days and see if it helps. Doctor would be my last resort also:hmm5:

I work from home, so posting in RC is not an issue. Doctor is my last resort as well, but if I get some time next week and it hasnt cleared up, I'll go to the urgent care center.... My primary doc is 45 minute drive 1 way :(

power boat jim
01/18/2012, 11:10 AM
I think its long past time to see a DR. If it worries you enough to ask for medical advice online, I have a feeling you already know what you need to do.

sushibug
01/18/2012, 11:17 AM
I scraped my hand inside the aquarium once and had a rash develop along my arm up to my elbow. Doctor gave me some antibiotic and it cleared it up. However, it feels itchy when I put my arm back in the tank... weird.

softieatheart
01/18/2012, 11:23 AM
Find someone who sells Young Living and get a bottle of their Purification oil and apply as needed. You can get it on Amazon, too. That stuff is great for reactions like this.

OTC Benadryl would probably be helpful, too, but the best thing would be to just leave it alone as much as possible. Don't itch, don't squeeze.

I don't think a doctor is necessary unless you develop a fever, the area is REALLY swollen, and there is obvious infection. (A little clear fluid is often thought to be "pus" but actually isn't. It is just fluid the body sends to an inflamed site. If it isn't clear, then it is pus.)

Mouse
01/18/2012, 01:13 PM
Slam your other hand in the car door, then you will already be at the Dr and you can ask him about the infection

Lofty
01/18/2012, 01:16 PM
Find someone who sells Young Living and get a bottle of their Purification oil and apply as needed. You can get it on Amazon, too. That stuff is great for reactions like this.

OTC Benadryl would probably be helpful, too, but the best thing would be to just leave it alone as much as possible. Don't itch, don't squeeze.

I don't think a doctor is necessary unless you develop a fever, the area is REALLY swollen, and there is obvious infection. (A little clear fluid is often thought to be "pus" but actually isn't. It is just fluid the body sends to an inflamed site. If it isn't clear, then it is pus.)

Yeah, The fluid is definately clear. Since i've stopped digging at it, the swelling has gone down and its less itchy. It was never super swollen, just obviously irritated. I will probably go see the doc if it dosnt clear up in a few days though.

Whisperer
01/18/2012, 01:23 PM
I think you got punctured by a vermetid snail (spyroglyphus annulatus according to Ron Shimek). They are those small reddish hard tubes <1mm diameter and usually half-inch long. I also did when I picked up a heavy rock full of them. Painful for a few days but healed eventually.

DrSalty
01/18/2012, 01:28 PM
I think it would be a good idea to see a doctor sooner rather than later. It's been a month since the incident and it is still causing you problems - that's a lot longer than it should normally take for something like this to heal. Also, you mentioned that you thought you saw pus when you squeezed it (though you mentioned that it might be clear drainage) - if so, that's a clear sign of infection and might require an incision and drainage (sometimes infections can wall themselves off so things like antibiotics aren't as effective - called an abscess). I think it's better to err on the side of safety with this one.

Psirex
01/18/2012, 03:22 PM
Go see a doctor!

schristi69
01/18/2012, 03:34 PM
Call doctor......"we can get you in the first Friday in August"

Agu
01/18/2012, 04:26 PM
At this point whatever is under your skin should have dissolved. If it hasn't yet it's time to have a Dr remove the irritant.

If it's a vermetid snail tube vinegar will dissolve it, if the wound hasn't healed over to much.

csmfish
01/18/2012, 06:47 PM
Death or 45 minute drive, hmmm......... Priorities first! Screw that doctor and a 45 minute drive!! :p :hammer:

Dragon moray ki
01/18/2012, 07:00 PM
A picture would be helpful

ReefyReef
01/18/2012, 07:09 PM
There are so many different types of bacteria inside your fish tank. Theres also bacteria on your skin. Anytime you break skin your at risk for infection. Staph is a common bacteria that lives on our skin. You dont even have to break skin to get a skin infection. A bump can cause a staph infection. After a month your bodies immune system should have fought off whatever invasive bacteria has entered your body. If your body is not able to fight off this foreign "bug", if you are truly infected, it is time to see a doctor and start a course on antiobiotics. Im not a doctor, but i did stay at a holiday inn last night. Lol Im a doctor.

Anemone
01/18/2012, 08:44 PM
Yes, you can pick up all sorts of bacteria from your fish tank, and it's more likely in a puncture wound since they are more difficult to clean and sanitize. I picked up Mycobacter marinum from vermetid snail punctures on my knuckles. Developed granulomas at the puncture sites that had to be re-opened and re-cleaned.

Yes, I self-treated, but it would have been a shorter and less painful experience if I had visited the doctor when I first noticed the symptoms (ie, more than just the puncture wound).

Good luck.

Kevin

salty joe
01/18/2012, 09:12 PM
You can try a strong solution of epsom salt. Get a cup of epsom salt and dissolve it in a cup of hot water. Soak your sore in the solution, keeping it hot or really warm. I've used the microwave to heat it up several times during treatment. Make sure you stir it after you nuke it and be careful not to burn yourself. Try 3-5 40 minute sessions-it pulled a really nasty infection from the heal of my hand last year. Good luck.

danderso
01/19/2012, 08:55 PM
Certain infections can kill like staph or merca (sp) and stuff like this can lead to stuff like that. What do you want on your tombstone?

danderso
01/19/2012, 08:58 PM
And I forgot to mention that all the guys that died from crap like this unfortunatly aren't here to share their self treatment success stories.