PDA

View Full Version : Question - what is a breakout box?

ozman05
01/18/2012, 12:17 PM
I've heard the term thrown around before, mainly when talking about controllers, but I have no clue what one is. Anybody care to shed some light for me?

SneakyPete
01/18/2012, 12:30 PM
Typically it is used as a term about a box containing electronics that have ports on the outside. This box connects to another piece of hardware that allows additional functionality to the original piece of hardware.

Examples: I have a breakout box for my sound card. The breakout box allows me to control things from the front of my PC, has additional inputs and outputs (midi, SPID/F, an IR reciever, etc). It connects to my sound card via a ribbon cable.

If you have a router that you connect a switch to, the switch could be considered a breakout box.

A USB splitter could be considered a breakout box.

ozman05
01/18/2012, 12:59 PM
Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

SC Reefaholic
01/18/2012, 03:41 PM
In terms of a controller, breakout boxes are used to isolate individual pieces of equipment or switches. Your initial port on your controller may have 7 inputs or chanels. This may be arranged as 1 common and 6 inputs for example. The "box" splits, or "breaks out" the cable coming from the port into 7 separate pins or lugs. You can attach float switches, water sensor switches, etc to the common and each input pin or lug in the box so that your controller will receive a simple open/closed signal based on the position of the switch.

snorvich
01/18/2012, 04:38 PM
Great information in this thread! Thanks for posting those excellent answers.