PDA

View Full Version : Skilter mods without airstone

Zerglingrush09
01/18/2012, 12:58 PM
Hey guys I was left a 75 gallon with a bunch of mis stuff from 25 years ago technology. I started actually with a 55 gallon and about 18lbs of live rock and 45 lbs of shelf rock that was also left to me.
Im a big diy btw, anyways i cycled my tank (the most patience ive ever had) did a bed of sand and some crush argonite and lost my house during the hurricane in the northeast NY, luckily my tank survived and is i switched to my 75 i used most of the water transported it and liverock live sand on top of buying more. I have a odysee 216 watt t5 two daytimes and two acntics. I bought a seaclone(i know short on money from painting the car) to find it would foam just the littlest bit every other week. I took that off and did more frequent water changes every 3to 4 days while trying to extend the reaction chamber for the seaclone(still working on). Well I took the skilter from previously using it on the 55 with a wood air stone. Took the propellor guard fitting what every the inflow U tube comes into and epoxied all but the small round hole. let it cure and fit a 225gph power head on the tube in the tank and put the venturi on with a needle valve.

Let me tell you I'm skimming so much and no microbubbles after i added a polyfill filter to the out flow. Oh btw i plugged the powerhead and the motor in so it gets chopped onces coming in from the main tank and chopped twice when it hits the reaction chamber.

My ADD (ran out of meds) thinkings got me thinking to build the same setup as the skilter, but to baffle it and put a refugium, for hang on back application. I'll add pics in a few minutes. Let me know what you guys think Im new member but been lurching here for a bit. Thought I should get more involved.