PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Water Storage

kzziboy
01/18/2012, 06:27 PM
What is and IS NOT acceptable to use for RO/DI water storage?
I've seen/heard people that use rubbermaid plastic garbages...buckets from home depot and such...
What about one of those 20 gallon colored sterilite containers with a top?
Can anything get into the water?
Something from the container itself?

jason2459
01/18/2012, 06:57 PM
I'm currently using a 29g clear sterilite container with a lid. No issues but I'm also tossing in lime which kind of self sterilizes the water. I was using a gray Lowes 5g bucket with a lid and ended up with some type of funky growth on the bottom. I switched to a 5g white Lowes bucket they said was food grade and had no issues with it store straight RO/DI for top off.

kzziboy
01/18/2012, 07:45 PM
I use a red sterilite container. It was reading 0 TDS for days. I then, without thinking about it, used an container to do a top of that I've used for mixing salt. Is it possible I put enought into 15 gallons of water to make the TDS go up to 50?
Or is something wrong with the container?

bertoni
01/18/2012, 10:23 PM
If the plastic is food-grade, the container should be fine to use. The TDS can rise in RO/DI water when carbon dioxide from the air dissolves into it, so it's fairly normal to see the level rise a bit over time.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/19/2012, 07:24 AM
A tiny trace of old salt will also boost TDS a lot. 1 mL of old salt water (dried down or still wet) will boost a gallon of RO/DI from 0 ppm TDS to something like 10 ppm TDS. If you did not carefully rinse out the old water, there will be a lot more than that remaining behind. :)