PDA

View Full Version : Need an inconspicuous heater...

briphi
01/19/2012, 01:57 PM
I have a 40B and a 40B sump. I threw my heaters into my sump to keep the display tank looking clean. The problem is sometimes I turn off my return pump for various display/sump maintenance, and sometimes during feeding. Depending on how long that takes, the display tank will lose a degree or two and heat.

The problem is that I'd like to keep the display tanks temperature as stable as possible, but I don't want big ugly heaters in the tank. I do have a siphon style overflow box that I could hide a heater behind if it were flat instead of round. Does any such heater exist?

Are there any other inconspicuous, stealth, or camouflaged heaters that I could put in the main tank?

tkeracer619
01/19/2012, 02:23 PM
A few degrees is nothing. My tank has been swinging 5-7 degrees per day for years.

Some evidence also suggests that a swing is healthy.

Do not use marineland heaters.

briphi
01/19/2012, 02:28 PM
I didn't realize 'stealth' was a brand of marineland heaters, I certainly don't use them.

You're right that temp swings can be heatlhy, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think the Neptune Apex controller even supports a seasonal table with varying temperatures.

What I'm really afraid for is that I forget to turn my return pump back on and the display tank gets too cold before I realize it. Does everybody just have their heaters in their sumps only?