PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Rubble

iadubber
01/19/2012, 02:30 PM
I ordered some live rock rubble due to the great reviews of the size of rubble. I didn't end up with much I could use, but I assume that responsibility of ordering rubble.

The problem I have is my LR was nearly frozen when I got it. So I assume any good hitchhikers were dead. I paid the extra for the $7 insulated box assuming paying that much for some styrofoam at least got me some hand warmers in it. There were none.

Anyone else have experience with LR coming into a cold climate unheated or is that something I shouldn't worry about? I originally got 10 pounds of rubble to help seed my base rock with BB and coralline. I had about 5 pounds usable for what I wanted it for.

Jeremy B.
01/19/2012, 02:43 PM
Were the heat packs taped to the lid of the box, and not noticed on there when you looked in? It is very common for rock and rubble to show up extremely cold, in which the dieoff is really not any different than when we ship in the summer. We've shipped rock for about 15 years in all weather conditions, and unless the product is delayed and in transit for more than 5 days, you should be just fine.

Also, we do not advertise the rubble as being coralline covered. With rubble, we do nothing more than dig it out of rubble stacks within the rock pool system. Each piece is on average 1" - 2.5" or so, and it's pretty much impossible to inspect each individual piece, I'm sorry.

iadubber
01/19/2012, 07:59 PM
Were the heat packs taped to the lid of the box, and not noticed on there when you looked in? It is very common for rock and rubble to show up extremely cold, in which the dieoff is really not any different than when we ship in the summer. We've shipped rock for about 15 years in all weather conditions, and unless the product is delayed and in transit for more than 5 days, you should be just fine.

Also, we do not advertise the rubble as being coralline covered. With rubble, we do nothing more than dig it out of rubble stacks within the rock pool system. Each piece is on average 1" - 2.5" or so, and it's pretty much impossible to inspect each individual piece, I'm sorry.

This is how the box arrived. No heat packs whatsoever

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6728590085_40d6a4c2e6_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharwick/6728590085/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharwick/6728590085/) by iadubber (http://www.flickr.com/people/chadharwick/), on Flickr

I do realize that the pieces are going to be small since it is rubble. I was just going by reviews of people that got up to softball sized chunks. As I said, I accept the sizing I got.

As far as you saying you don't guarantee having any coralline, I did put in the notes I was looking for rubble with coralline and got a few pieces of reds and greens. As I said though I accept what I got was rubble and there is no guarantee even though it was noted on the order what I was looking for.

The issue I was concerned with was it being nearly frozen by the time it got here and no heat packs were put in the foam box at all. I was just wondering if it was standard practice for LR or not to include some sort of heat source especially to customers paying extra for the styrofoam box.

Jeremy B.
01/20/2012, 10:03 AM
It certainly should have contained heat packs. Shoot me an email to jeremy@premiumaquatics.com with your name and/or order number and I'll get a new shipment headed out to you.

iadubber
01/20/2012, 10:36 AM
I have to say PA came through with great customer service and they are sending me another heated box free.

FenderMan
02/15/2012, 11:10 AM
I just recently ordered some rubble from PA and had a similar situation.My problem though was that what was sent to me was not useable for what I needed it for.I had originally asked for rubble in the 2-3" size range and Jeremy B responded stating that the rubble is up to "golf ball" size.Well I was OK with that as it is close to what I needed.I said to Jeremy B that this was for my vase project so the "golf ball" size is fine.I asked for him to make the whole order that size with as much quality, coralline, life possible.
Upon receiving my order I then find that my request was basically ignored.The rubble was nowhere near quality and the size being pebble to marble.Not what I wanted at all.
I contacted Jeremy B immediately and told him of my dissatisfaction.What I got from him was "sorry I can't guarantee the rubble".I then offered to return all of it and ask for my money back.Then I got "sorry we do not take back live orders".What I cannot understand is that why would PA not want to make good on my order?
Basically I got a big fat NO, that this is what we sent you and that's all your going to get regardless.
I read so many great reviews on PA and where similar situations have occurred and been resolved.So why not my order?This is wrong on their part.
Jeremy B then writes me back, again with the "sorry" and offers to work out something for my next order.Next order I told him, fix this one first never mind the next order!My suggestion was to redo the order with rubble from their latest batch of Uncured Fiji Live Rock, "golf ball" size and I will be satisfied with that.
So after some more back and forth with Jeremy B of the same thing I am stuck with something I can't use and did not receive any replacement or my money back!
All I got was "sorry" and that is just bad business!
I will not ever buy from PremiumAquatics.com again!

Jeremy B.
02/15/2012, 11:29 AM
FenderMan (Luke),

Let's get the full story out here.

You origianlly inquired to us about ordering Manado liverock. However, you then shortly changed that over to Fiji liverock. You wanted fresh, uncured Fiji rock, which we did not have in at the time we started to talk about it. A week had passed and during that time we did receive our shipment of Fiji, however a day or two had passed and I wasn't able to notify you of that shipment. You were ok with that, and we started discussing the order again.

Over this past weekend you changed your mind on the Fiji liverock, and ordered liverock rubble only, 2lbs to be exact. You requested 2" - 3" pieces with life and coralline algae. I emailed you and forewarned you that liverock rubble is only up to golf ball size, no larger. I also mentioned to you that I can not guarantee the color or life on the rock, as it's just that - rubble. I suggested that you purchase our Nano Liverock to get what you were looking for. You declined that and said that it was ok and go ahead and ship it.

I get an email from you yesterday morning stating you received smaller pieces than what you asked for, and there was no life on the rock. In addition to that, you were not satisfied with the rock pool crude that we sell, which you stated "The crude I would not even call mud, just garbage."

You wanted a full refund or replacement, in which I told you that I can not do because I completely forewarned you about this ahead of time in what you would be getting. We do not do returns on livestock packages, nor does any other other online livestock supplier.

Having said that, per my email I sent you this morning before you posted this I refunded your order in full, and also said that I do not want the product back.

We shipped you exactly what was advertised and what I told you the product would be like. I said that I can not guarantee the quality or size of the rubble. The rock pool bottom crude is just that, it's a mix of mud and muck from the bottom of our pools. It's been the exact same product for the last 14 years that we have pulled from our rock pools that have been set up for that long.

I'm sorry you weren't happy, but it's completely unfair on your part to ask for a refund on a product that I told you ahead of time what you would be getting, and what I can not guarantee you would get. You had your mind set on nano sized liverock at our rock rubble pricing. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

FenderMan
02/15/2012, 01:42 PM
FenderMan (Luke),

Let's get the full story out here.

You origianlly inquired to us about ordering Manado liverock. However, you then shortly changed that over to Fiji liverock. You wanted fresh, uncured Fiji rock, which we did not have in at the time we started to talk about it. A week had passed and during that time we did receive our shipment of Fiji, however a day or two had passed and I wasn't able to notify you of that shipment. You were ok with that, and we started discussing the order again.

Over this past weekend you changed your mind on the Fiji liverock, and ordered liverock rubble only, 2lbs to be exact. You requested 2" - 3" pieces with life and coralline algae. I emailed you and forewarned you that liverock rubble is only up to golf ball size, no larger. I also mentioned to you that I can not guarantee the color or life on the rock, as it's just that - rubble. I suggested that you purchase our Nano Liverock to get what you were looking for. You declined that and said that it was ok and go ahead and ship it.

I get an email from you yesterday morning stating you received smaller pieces than what you asked for, and there was no life on the rock. In addition to that, you were not satisfied with the rock pool crude that we sell, which you stated "The crude I would not even call mud, just garbage."

You wanted a full refund or replacement, in which I told you that I can not do because I completely forewarned you about this ahead of time in what you would be getting. We do not do returns on livestock packages, nor does any other other online livestock supplier.

Having said that, per my email I sent you this morning before you posted this I refunded your order in full, and also said that I do not want the product back.

We shipped you exactly what was advertised and what I told you the product would be like. I said that I can not guarantee the quality or size of the rubble. The rock pool bottom crude is just that, it's a mix of mud and muck from the bottom of our pools. It's been the exact same product for the last 14 years that we have pulled from our rock pools that have been set up for that long.

I'm sorry you weren't happy, but it's completely unfair on your part to ask for a refund on a product that I told you ahead of time what you would be getting, and what I can not guarantee you would get. You had your mind set on nano sized liverock at our rock rubble pricing. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Although I would have settled for a replacement I appreciate the refund.
I did offer to send back the unused items because I am not out to cheat anyone and I don't want anything for free but you refused.So where did that leave me?
To settle with what was sent?How is that even right?That is when I decided I wanted my money back, only when you would not make good on the order.

Millticket
02/17/2012, 04:48 PM
I am impressed they gave you a refund given how you were told multiple times of no guarantees of coloration or life. Kudos to PA for going above and beyond and shame on you for not reading the correspondence. I had recently purchased 12 lbs of rubble from them and their descriptions on the website was dead on. It is what it is, rubble. With that being said, my rubble was awesome. Had good sized pieces full of coraline and varios macro algae and pods.

Imo. If u really wanted to be picky with size and life, it sounds like u should of heeded the advice of the distributor. I know they've always been helpful in answering my questions and love doing business with them. Best of luck.