PDA

View Full Version : Zeomag, no ca reactor

bennyinca
01/19/2012, 04:07 PM
I still have some zeomag from when I used a Calcium reactor. I no longer have the reactor but still have some zeomag.

Does anyone know if I can soak / dissolve some zeomag in a vinegar solution, and dose it to the tank?

MgCO3 or CaMg(CO3)2 plus CH3CO2H

Would this release Mg++ CO3--???

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/19/2012, 05:07 PM
That would not be a good plan for boosting magnesium, but it could be used to steadily maintain magnesium if added every day the way a reactor does. If used for a magnesium boost it wil massively boost alkalinity.

bennyinca
01/19/2012, 06:32 PM
That would not be a good plan for boosting magnesium, but it could be used to steadily maintain magnesium if added every day the way a reactor does. If used for a magnesium boost it wil massively boost alkalinity.

Thanks Randy!

For MG boost I have some Tech-M. When I run out of it, I was planning on using your recipe using epsom salt

I'll try the zeomag as a manual way to maintain the Mg levels... I just got a new test kits so I guess I will be using this daily for Alk, Ca, Mg for the next few days.

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/20/2012, 05:41 AM
OK. Remember that if one wants to raise magnesium by 10 ppm using pure MgCO3 (with vinegar or in a reactor), the alkalinity will necessarily rise by 2.3 dKH (0.8 meq/L). If it is a material with calcium in it too, the alk rise per unit of magnesium is even higher.