PDA

View Full Version : LED to suplement Par 38

JTL
01/20/2012, 11:41 AM
Background:
I have a 48x24 tank and 8 Par38 lamps. Corals are doing OK but I think they could be better plus I am not getting the pop that I would like. The Par 38 lamps are the ones from Nanotuners and they have either 3 cool white and 2 royal blue or 2 royal blue and 3 cool white 3 watt leds. They are not dimmable. I have four of each lamp arranged in two rows. There is enough room to put an led panels between the two rows.

Project:
I am thinking about adding two 4.25 x 16 heatsinks between the existing Par 38 lamps. Each heatsink can hold 24 leds. Since the AI light configuration gets good reviews I was thinking of following that model which would be 8-xpg wht, 8 xpeblu and 8 royal blue, on each of the two heatsinks. I may or may not need all of my exising Par 38 lamps in fact if I can run 14 leds on each ELN 60-48D.

Questions:
1. Does the color mix make sense and does it make sense to just mix the blues and run them on one dimmer and the whites on another? Should I add in some neutral whites, red, green?
2. I have a Reefkeeper lite. Should I get an ALC module which I believe only has room for two circuits or would the Dim 4 suggested by BMB be a better choice. In any event if I use one of these does this completely eliminate the need for POT's and an ac adpater on both of the units or just the Reefkeeper.
3. What about solderless connections? Are they a good option or not?

JTL
01/21/2012, 10:01 AM
Really curious about the pro and cons of solderless leds. Seems like it would be a very easy way to try different combinations of lights.