PDA

View Full Version : AC3 to APEX update

Gieser
01/20/2012, 11:55 AM
I may be missing something, but could not find a thread about this...

Can anyone tell me how complicated the move from AC3 to Apex is and if it is worth the upgrade? I use my AC3 religiously with my iPhone and for running our 350 reef.

Also, are the AC3 energy bars compatible with the Apex?

RussM
01/20/2012, 12:04 PM
The Apex is much more powerful that than the AC3, so there will be an additional learning process. The programming syntax is more complex, but most AC3 users seem to adopt the new Apex syntax fairly quickly.

Kenargo's AC Simulator has a feature that will translate your AC3 program to basic Apex program commands for each outlet..... it's a good way to start. http://www.kenargo.com/software/index.php

Your DC8s and DC4HDs can be used on the full Apex and Apex Lite (but not the Apex Jr) You can use AC3 temp, pH, and ORP probes too.

Apex EnergyBars have several advantages over the DC8/DC4... built-in electric current usage monitoring, and a fallback feature which allows you to set the state of EnergyBar outlets to ON or OFF should the EnergyBar lose communications with the controller.

You must have at least one EB8 though, because the Apex and any Probe Modules gets their power from connected EnergyBar(s)

schwaggs
01/21/2012, 07:20 PM
You must have at least one EB8 though, because the Apex and any Probe Modules gets their power from connected EnergyBar(s)

You need one EB8 OR a 12V power supply (which must be ordered separatly if you go that route).

Another benifit of the EB8s over DC8s is the flexibility of cabling. You can have up to 200 feet on an Aquabus but are limited to ~10 feet (more with better cabling) on a DC8 network.

RussM
01/21/2012, 09:17 PM
You need one EB8 OR a 12V power supply (which must be ordered separately if you go that route).

I can't verify by testing (I only have an Apex/display/EB8 - no other AquaBus modules), but others here have said that a 12V adapter will only power the Apex base and display, not AquaBus accessories on the bus. Which tells me that that an EBx would be needed to support additional modules.

Of course, this would not affect an Apex with only legacy peripherals connected.

Gieser
01/22/2012, 12:24 AM
This is fantastic information so far!!! I love it!!!!

Justdrew
01/23/2012, 10:44 AM
Tagging onto this thread, I have an AC Jr and am considering the upgrade also. I am looking at Reef Geek and they sell just the Apex unit with the temp probe. Having read this thread I now see that I will need a power adapter to run the Apex if there is not an EB8. I do not see this listed with all the Neptune accessories. Can someone point me to the proper adapter?

Thanks
Drew

kenargo
01/23/2012, 06:39 PM
Tagging onto this thread, I have an AC Jr and am considering the upgrade also. I am looking at Reef Geek and they sell just the Apex unit with the temp probe. Having read this thread I now see that I will need a power adapter to run the Apex if there is not an EB8. I do not see this listed with all the Neptune accessories. Can someone point me to the proper adapter?

Thanks
Drew

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=74&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1&Itemid=26

Justdrew
01/23/2012, 07:39 PM
Lol... thanks, don't know how I missed that there.

Justdrew
01/23/2012, 07:59 PM
So just a recap. If I get the base unit and temp probe only, I will have no problem using my DC8 with it? To eventually control my Ecotech's I would then have to have an EB8 first before the WXM module? If I read correctly modules can only plug into the EB8 aquabus and not the base unit.

This seems like the best way to upgrade to the full Apex if I don;t have the initial cash outlay. In essence I would be paying about $50 more for the Apex unit by building it over time vs buying it all at once.

Thanks
Drew

kenargo
01/23/2012, 08:13 PM
If I read correctly modules can only plug into the EB8 aquabus and not the base unit.

Any AquaBus connection can connect to any Aquabus connection; there is no restriction on what can connect where, you can connect modules to a base unit just as you can connect modules to an EB8 and then an EB8 to the base unit.

Now, that question aside; I cannot answer another question which I suspect you may really be asking and that is about how many and if modules can be connected if you only use a power supply and I don't have that answer for you but I suggest you contact Neptune directly and ask that question to be sure you are not limited if you go with the power supply and no EB8 power source. I think you would be OK but I'm not 100% certain.

Justdrew
01/23/2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks again!