PDA

View Full Version : Best Anemone

Jawfish34
01/20/2012, 08:53 PM
I just bought a 60 gallon bow front to give my ever growing fish more room.
I have assorted corals and a maroon clown who has been a great fish!
I want to give him an anemone in this new tank but I know that anemones are not the best things in a tank and can be bad.
Is it worth having an anemone in my tank?
If so what kind would you recommend?

Thank you :fish2:

donya
01/20/2012, 10:05 PM
I want to give him an anemone in this new tank but I know that anemones are not the best things in a tank and can be bad.

Well, they are fragile and can make a lot of waste if they die. Make sure you let the tank mature for a reasonably long time to be safe (e.g. 6+ months). They can also wander and sting corals if you have those, and I recommend you cover all of your power head and other intakes if you don't want to risk making anemone soup.

Is it worth having an anemone in my tank?

The clown doesn't need the anemone, so if you don't like anemones for their own sake then I would say don't get one. If you want the anemone because you like anemones and will not mind if your clown ignores it, then it's up to you to decide if it is "worth" getting the anemone.

If so what kind would you recommend?

A BTA is the safest bet if you want the fish to host, which it may not no matter what you give it. Or it might host immediately - no way to tell until you put the anemone in.

With a maroon clown, when choosing outside of BTAs, there is a risk of harm to the fish if you choose an anemone that is "too spicy." The fish can be stung or even eaten if it is a small fish and big, or exceptionally potent species of anemone. I did this by accident with a maroon clown pair and a large Heteractis aurora. I got the anemone because I wanted the individual anemone for months, not because I wanted the clowns to host it. Darned if the little devils didn't try to host the anemone right out of the bag. The result was lots of sting marks on the fish and that they eventually learned to ignore that anemone so that both now coexist peacefully in the same tank. Still, I would ever repeat it myself in another tank or recommend that others try after seeing how badly my stubborn female clown got herself stung. So, if you don't want to experiment and risk your fish and/or the anemone...play it safe with something you know will work if the clown takes an interest.

Jawfish34
01/21/2012, 12:13 AM
Thank you, i'll keep my tank running for a while then come back to the anemone and decide if I want one

coreyg
01/21/2012, 12:33 AM
If you do decide to get one, and it host your clowns its awsome to watch. The clowns will clean it and feed it. They will take small pieces of food down to the anemone.