PDA

View Full Version : Help/suggestions!!

Charlessyverson
01/21/2012, 10:30 AM
I would like the largest setup I could get without alot of DIY, for under $1,000. I would start with FOWLR, but would like to be able to dabble in corals. I have looked at the RSM 130d, but am concerned that I will quickly outgrow it, basically wasting my money. Any suggestions on size or setups that would fit my wants? And if I were able to go with a larger size, what filtration would you recommend? I have a LFS that has a 55 gallon complete with live rock, sand, etc. but it come with a canister filter, which through my readings, may not be the best option.
Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

sporto0
01/21/2012, 10:55 AM
I suggest you save up more money, $1k is a drop in the bucket. About the 55g at your LFS, if you are going FOWLR a canister filter is not a bad idea, they are still good mechanical & chemical filters, you can leave the bio-media out although with a mainly fish only tank, your nitrates are always going to be higher so I don't understand your concern, even a wet/dry filter is a good idea with FOWLR's, it's just a matter of a little more maintenance every 4-6 months.

Sport507
01/21/2012, 11:44 AM
If you are wanting to get the bag for the buck, I would probably go with a 40gal. breeder Petco may still have them on sale for $1 per gallon. These are nice tanks and the profile gives you many options. They are 36” long, 16” tall and 18” wide.

Tank $42.80 Petco
Reef octopus BH-2000 HOB skimmer. $189.99 free shipping BRS
Marineland 400 HOB canister. $45.00 Amazon
Sand $38.00. Premium Aquatics went and picked it up.
Odyssea auto timer light 36” (3 x 39W) $85.90 free shipping. Aquatraders.
Salt creep no charge.

I have this set up for my anemone only tank.

heckfire
01/21/2012, 12:50 PM
I suggest you save up more money, $1k is a drop in the bucket. About the 55g at your LFS, if you are going FOWLR a canister filter is not a bad idea, they are still good mechanical & chemical filters, you can leave the bio-media out although with a mainly fish only tank, your nitrates are always going to be higher so I don't understand your concern, even a wet/dry filter is a good idea with FOWLR's, it's just a matter of a little more maintenance every 4-6 months.

i disagree about the money thing, you can get alot used for 1000$ , try craigslist, i did a quick search and found this http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/2802671059.html and http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/2766428723.html

Playa-1
01/21/2012, 04:14 PM
I would go with used equipment. You can find some great deals out there on used equipment. I think it would also serve you well to start with a couple of good books before you start buying equipment. That will help you a great deal in determining your needs. You will find that the live rock, protein skimmer and regular water changes will provide your filtration. Start by reading everything you can get your hands on before making any investments. To start, I would recommend a book called the conscientious marine aquarist by Fenner gl :)