PDA

View Full Version : How to plumb remote refugium

omartinez
01/21/2012, 07:05 PM
I'm mounting my first salty tank. A 135g with a 47 sump, today i manage to convince my wife to get a 55g to use it as a remote refugium/second dt.

The sump will be 5' below the dt inside the stand, the refugium will be on the other side of a wall.

The issue is not the wall, is that the fuge is at the same level as the dt and i cant drill it. So how do i connect that fuge to the main system?

Saltydrip
01/21/2012, 07:12 PM
Tricky....

I would use the sump as your "manifold" put an overflow on the 55 that would drain into your sump. It would mix with the DT water and return to the 55 and water that has been blended with both tanks. I'm not sure of the capasity and design of your sump but that seems to be the most painless rout. I would at least call some glass shops to see about drilling. It won't be much and if you are adding this as a "piggyback" system you can have the tank cycle befor adding it to your DT system.

Drilling is the way. Give it a shot. Make the calls!!! It doesn't cost but a couple bucks most of the time.

Saltydrip
01/21/2012, 07:15 PM
Oh yea... I skipped the part where I should have told you you would need an additional pump for your 55g return or if you had a big enough pump already you could T into your DT return since they have the same water level. I would run the second pump though to keep as much flow threw the DT.

omartinez
01/22/2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the advice that was my initial idea, using an overflow on the refugium and a t on the return pump.

Drilling the tank present some problems here in my country do i prefer not using one for the moment.

I will explore your idea more carefully, if anyone else have more suggestion they are welcome

omartinez
01/24/2012, 12:33 PM
what do you think of this?

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx329/Hylik/Acuario%20Salado/FiltracionCompleto.jpg

Saltydrip
01/24/2012, 01:42 PM
That would do it but I would put both returns in the skimmer compartment.

omartinez
01/24/2012, 02:28 PM
uhmm.. why put the refugium return in the skimmer section?

i see the system the same as a sump with the standard design: skimmer>return<refugium

walnuts24
01/24/2012, 02:45 PM
If you are going to display your refugium then you would probably have some sort of live stock in that tank (shrimp, macro, CUC). This water should return to the skimmer section since you will have some inhabitants.

jamesdean3
01/24/2012, 02:53 PM
Nahhh just dump it in the return so some pods and other goodies can make it back up to the DT. Any inverts /cuc would not have much of a bio load so I see skimming as totally unnecessary . I like you plan, just make sure your return pump can push enough flow for both tanks and you'll be good to go

omartinez
01/24/2012, 02:57 PM
remeber that even if it is in display, is a refugium, i want to grow macro and pods for the fish...and some other stuff maybe

the reason that i dont put the fuge return on the skimmer, it's that i want the pods to go up to the main tank. Also I dont see the diferent in that matter of this setup and the common sump design : skimmer-return-refugium

omartinez
01/24/2012, 02:58 PM
Nahhh just dump it in the return so some pods and other goodies can make it back up to the DT. Any inverts /cuc would not have much of a bio load so I see skimming as totally unnecessary . I like you plan, just make sure your return pump can push enough flow for both tanks and you'll be good to go

exactly

Saltydrip
01/24/2012, 03:45 PM
I see a problem... Will pods be at the surface where your overflow is?? They like to be in the vegetation. Not swimming around the surface.

omartinez
01/24/2012, 03:50 PM
Good question... Someone can answer

For what i know, let assume it a regular sump with a refugium, will not be the pods tranfered to the dt by overflowing to the return section?