PDA

View Full Version : vortech on the bottom of the tank????

am3gross
01/21/2012, 07:30 PM
think it would work? it would be pointing straight up but i think that the amount of undertow that it pulls while it is on the side...... some one how has a bare bottom tank and a vortech needs to try this!! if some one does please let me know how this works out for you!!!

SkullV
01/21/2012, 08:41 PM
It has been done, I saw it on the ecotech forum. It was a bare bottom that used Vortechs on the bottom to create a surge.

fishnerd1
01/21/2012, 08:44 PM
I'd wonder about how long the bearings would last since there is always some fine particulate finding its way to the bottom. Sounds great in theory, just wonder what the cost/repair frequency will be.

am3gross
01/21/2012, 08:52 PM
Interesting.... I thought I had a great idea!

fishnerd1
01/21/2012, 09:01 PM
It may be a great idea and worth a try. Worse case you might need to replace the wet side a little quicker. I'm considering the MP 40W ES for my system so I've been researching. Sure see a lot of chatter about having to replace the wet side. Kind of surprising to me with a German design and the premium price.

SkullV
01/21/2012, 10:07 PM
It may be a great idea and worth a try. Worse case you might need to replace the wet side a little quicker. I'm considering the MP 40W ES for my system so I've been researching. Sure see a lot of chatter about having to replace the wet side. Kind of surprising to me with a German design and the premium price.

Pretty sure it's an American Design. I have had my MP40wES (2) up for 7 months now and haven't heard any chatter or anything. I just cleaned one of them for the first time today. Going to do the other one tomorrow.

biecacka
01/21/2012, 11:25 PM
i to have always wondered if this would work???
corey

zigzag1
01/22/2012, 12:00 AM
Seems very likely to shorten the pumps life. Live rock is continually shedding detritus, often grains of sand-like material.

strgazr27
01/22/2012, 10:17 AM
Why not just run it with the foam on it? Would prolong the issue of detritus getting to it. As long as it was easy to reach you could just periodically pull the foam and clean it.

am3gross
01/22/2012, 10:42 AM
Why not just run it with the foam on it? Would prolong the issue of detritus getting to it. As long as it was easy to reach you could just periodically pull the foam and clean it.

Good point!