PDA

View Full Version : any cucumber peeps out there

J-Money
01/22/2012, 12:01 PM
I had heard there were cucumbers that don't make a tank go toxic when stressed so i asked the reef store about it and they suggested a black sandsifting cucumber. It wuz good for a week but this morning i woke up and he seems to be expelling his insides. Its been a couple of hours since i woke up and doesn't seem to be getting worse... any chance he can suck it back in and be ok, or should i take him out before he dies?

Augustus
01/22/2012, 01:58 PM
I can't speak for cucumbers but I do know that my anemone has puked up stuff if I over feed him and it looks like he was turning his stomach inside out. Did it when I put him in the tank right after I bought him to. Still going strong two months on though so hopefully its a non issue.

I have a couple of cucumbers that were HHs on some LR I bought. I didn't want to get rid of them so I looked them up and what I read and was told they are only toxic if they die. And even then I was told it may not matter depending on the amount of toxin they release. As with anything in this hobby you hear a lot of differing opinions... Myself I left them in there and I enjoy watching them unfold the large tree like sifters come out and filter my water. Amazing creatures!

J-Money
01/22/2012, 07:02 PM
Shameless bump for the late peeps... he's still in there, did usual water change of 10g. Everything looks fine but he still has his guts partway out... dude at reef store said they aren't toxic until they've been dead a while and a good skimmer should keep u alright... i can't tell u how many times ive gone and stared into my tank to see if theres any changes in anything (nearly every commerial break during the games so far!) But there isn't yet. I'm still half tempted to yank him out cuz now I'm not sure i trust him?!?!