PDA

View Full Version : skimmer not making foam

tony53176
01/22/2012, 12:16 PM
hey guys,

I have an aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer and before yesterday the skimmer was making great skimmate but yesterday I added some cuc to the tank, a few crabs and some snails. After I did that I noticed the skimmer stopped producing foam.

I did have to put my hand in the tank a few times yesterday and I heard that putting your hand in the tank can sometimes shut down the skimmer, is this true?

If so how long will it take for the skimmer to recover?

I know that there is stuff in the tank for the skimmer to pull out, it just stopped as soon as I put the cuc in, someone help me out please!

jon99
01/22/2012, 06:09 PM
hey guys,

I have an aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer and before yesterday the skimmer was making great skimmate but yesterday I added some cuc to the tank, a few crabs and some snails. After I did that I noticed the skimmer stopped producing foam.

I did have to put my hand in the tank a few times yesterday and I heard that putting your hand in the tank can sometimes shut down the skimmer, is this true?

Yes, the oils from your hand/arm will cause the skimate to break up and the foam to not hold together long enough to make it up the neck of the skimmer and into the collection cup. Fish food, supplementssuch as Selcon and other oily substances will have similar effects.

If so how long will it take for the skimmer to recover?

In my skimmer it usually only lasts a few (2-4) hours. But I guess it depends on tank size and what exactly you had on your hands.

I know that there is stuff in the tank for the skimmer to pull out, it just stopped as soon as I put the cuc in, someone help me out please!For now I would just give it a couple days. 48 hours without a skimmer isn't a need for alarm.

Percula9
01/23/2012, 01:39 PM
The oils from your skin will temporarilly stop skimming. It will resume. Wash your hands up to the elbow with soap and water. This will remove most of the oils. Skimming will resume sooner.