PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Female Anthias

MuffsAbby
01/22/2012, 02:13 PM
I posted last week, about whether to get 2 or 3 lyretail anthias, and was advised to get 3. Luck was with me, since I was able to obtain 3 females from my LFS (I'm in Canada, so I can't order from LA or similar online sources). Two are the same size (about 2 inches) and the third is a baby (about an inch). I just put them in my QT this morning. All are eating well; the QT is cycled and water quality is good; I'm not using any medications at this point.

The 2 larger anthias are fighting a fair bit, not fin nipping, but locking jaws and wiggling all around and/or chasing each other. They don't bother the baby, who is hiding most of the time in any event. At the LFS, one female and the baby were in the same tank. The other female was in a different tank. Is this fighting anything to be concerned about?

MrTuskfish
01/22/2012, 02:20 PM
Probably deciding which one will become the male.

MuffsAbby
01/22/2012, 07:04 PM
Well, it didn't take them long to get around to dealing with that agenda item! :)

Should I just let them be or should I separate them for a few days (via a tank divider)?

xxtriggermanxx
01/22/2012, 08:10 PM
leave them settle it. they should be fine. just keep an eye on them when feeding . if one stops eatting. ya might want to seperate.

Reefing Newbie
01/22/2012, 09:39 PM
Do either of them have a spike in their dorsal fin? If they do they may have both been on their way to becoming male I think. I would just let them settle it out, it is like clownfish, just fighting over who becomes male.

MuffsAbby
01/22/2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks! So far, they're eating extremely well. Even the baby comes out of hiding when food is on the scene. So, I'll leave them together, but keep an eye on them, as you suggest.

And thanks to those who suggested I get three. I think the three of them will look amazing when they go into my DT in a few months (assuming they don't kill each other first)!

MuffsAbby
01/22/2012, 09:46 PM
Do either of them have a spike in their dorsal fin? If they do they may have both been on their way to becoming male I think. I would just let them settle it out, it is like clownfish, just fighting over who becomes male.

Just noticed your post, Reefing Newbie. No spikes on the dorsal fin of either fish.

So, I have this in my future with my clowns too? Lovely! I've had them since October, but they're still the same size, so I don't yet know which one will become female...but so far no fighting with them.

Reefing Newbie
01/22/2012, 09:46 PM
You may be one of the lucky people who will have a purple colored male lyretail in the future... I love the purple males!

Reefing Newbie
01/22/2012, 09:48 PM
Just noticed your post, Reefing Newbie. No spikes on the dorsal fin of either fish.

So, I have this in my future with my clowns too? Lovely! I've had them since October, but they're still the same size, so I don't yet know which one will become female...but so far no fighting with them.

How big are they? I have two young ones that are between 3/4" and an 1" long and they barely fight, but they are still getting into arguments. They aren't quite ready to be one gender or the other yet, and probably won't for a few months. It is just a phase that they go through and if properly cared for and water conditions are kept up there should be no problems.

MuffsAbby
01/22/2012, 10:18 PM
How big are they? I have two young ones that are between 3/4" and an 1" long and they barely fight, but they are still getting into arguments. They aren't quite ready to be one gender or the other yet, and probably won't for a few months. It is just a phase that they go through and if properly cared for and water conditions are kept up there should be no problems.

My clowns were about 1.5 inches when I got them and they're now a little over 2 inches. I would have expected to see some aggression between them, but I've seen absolutely nothing so far. And they're virtually identical in size. They commonly swim side-by-side (they think they're chromis) and I can't tell them apart.