PDA

View Full Version : Brushing mat?

eric1283
01/23/2012, 10:43 AM
I read if you gsp wont open you can use a soft tooth brush to clean the mat and that can make thin open up is it OK to do this?

sporto0
01/23/2012, 10:50 AM
Does it have algae growth on the mat itself? I would be careful brushing it, they will tear very easily. Have you tried wedging the piece (mat) between a crack in the rock, mine would not open or grow until I did this, now I wish I wouldn't have bothered, it grows & grows & covers everything, I have to put putty over parts of it to stop it's expansion. Good luck.

eric1283
01/23/2012, 10:53 AM
I did see some algae growth on it but it hasn't opened for 4 days now and it was a large beautiful colony when it was open

eric1283
01/23/2012, 11:14 AM
Has anyone ever tried this does it work?

tebstan
01/23/2012, 12:47 PM
I've done it... but it did tear the mat. I didn't really care, the stuff is overgrown now. When it was new, I wouldn't have risked damaging it. If there's algae on it, blow it lightly with a turkey baster.

eric1283
01/23/2012, 01:16 PM
I did end up brushing it I was careful not to tear it when I was done the mat was bright purple the way it was when I first got it if it was that dirty do you think that could have been the problem should it open back up now?

Meshmez
01/23/2012, 01:30 PM
Does it have algae growth on the mat itself? I would be careful brushing it, they will tear very easily. Have you tried wedging the piece (mat) between a crack in the rock, mine would not open or grow until I did this, now I wish I wouldn't have bothered, it grows & grows & covers everything, I have to put putty over parts of it to stop it's expansion. Good luck.

Not to thread hijack, but how did you stop its expansion? I figured if you put putty over it, it would just grow over the putty eventually?

sporto0
01/23/2012, 01:38 PM
Not to thread hijack, but how did you stop its expansion? I figured if you put putty over it, it would just grow over the putty eventually?

I have been able to thwart it's direction & so far it has not grown over the putty & it's been almost 10 months now.

a.browning
01/23/2012, 02:44 PM
I used a toothbrush to scrub off algae on my star polyp mat, took them a few days to come back out but it worked really well.

Bosha
01/23/2012, 02:52 PM
Did something in the water change to make it close and grow algae perhaps?