PDA

View Full Version : BM Doser --> Tubing getting pulled through!

RoachF4
01/23/2012, 02:22 PM
I saw a similar thread on this a couple of days ago, but I haven't been able to locate it, so sorry if this has been resolved. I've had my Bubble Magus Triple Doser running for about 8 months now and as the other poster mentioned, the tubing is slowly being stretched out and pulled through the head unit. I already ordered a new head unit, but I was wondering if anyone has come up with any viable solutions for this issue. It seems kinda lame to keep buying head units every 6 months or so. Is there anyway to get some more life out of the tubing (other then slowing down the dosing)?
If this continues to be a problem is there another doser out there that someone recommends that doesn't have this problem? This is my first experience with dosers...so maybe this is just part of the game. Thanks for your time.

Matt

Jenzifer
01/23/2012, 02:37 PM
I have had the same problem..for me i use Wd40 to lubricate it..and it seems to do the trick. Not sure if WD40 is the best to use on that type of material but I have not had any problems so far.

regent2010
01/23/2012, 02:40 PM
i thot they have a 1 year warranty? i've heard the pump needs to be replaced every year that's y they r $20.per pump. maybe that's y some cost $400. versus $189. i have a 'marine magic' sitting now n thanks for the headup. i will keep an eye on it.

RoachF4
01/23/2012, 05:32 PM
Jenzifer - So did you spray the WD40 up inside the pump head or take the unit apart? It sounds like it would work...not sure what the long term effects on the tubing would be, but they don't seem to be made to last long term anyhow. It's a shame to becuase it really seems to be a solid piece of equipment...accurate, easy to program, and the price is right. Thanks for the replies.

barjam
01/23/2012, 06:09 PM
You could use clear silicon plumbers lube found at lowes/home depot.

Tubing in a peristaltic pumps is a consumable item. It isn't if it fails it is when. You should be able to find replacement tubing somewhere to fit it.

RoachF4
01/23/2012, 08:37 PM
Barjam - That's the type of solution I was hoping for...tubing seems much cheaper. Has anyone tried replacing just the tubing in the BM doser or any type of doser for that matter? I guess when I get the new pump head, I can take apart the old one and try some different types of tubing out. Thanks for the suggestions.

barjam
01/23/2012, 08:45 PM
Bulk reef supply dosers sell tubing for theirs. Dosers are just repurposed medical field stuff so am guessing you could just replace it with a tygon or silicon based tube set of the appropriate size.

mr. pluto
01/24/2012, 12:07 PM
just unsnap the motor from the controller unit & unsnap the front & wiggle the tube even.

kc350twin
01/24/2012, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure I like the WD talk. I'd use Silicone grease like someone said before or "Super Lube" It is reef safe and used buy many.