PDA

View Full Version : Program

alanbates12
01/23/2012, 03:28 PM
Trying to fix it wher if my power goes out that My lights will turn off after 1 min. Will ths work?

Fallback ON
Set OFF
IF POWER EB8 OFF 001 THEN ON

kenargo
01/23/2012, 08:18 PM
Trying to fix it wher if my power goes out that My lights will turn off after 1 min. Will ths work?

Fallback ON
Set OFF
IF POWER EB8 OFF 001 THEN ON

I'm not sure I have an opinion on what is better but I would use

If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON

because that is more about the Apex loosing power than any 1 EB8. Just my opinion, if you only have 1 EB8 you should be OK but if you ever add another EB8 you may need to make changes to get what you want.

RussM
01/23/2012, 08:27 PM
Would you explain more about what you are trying to accomplish? Also, in another thread, IIRC, you mentioned using a UPS with your Apex... how? Do you have one or both EB8s plugged into the UPS? This will probably affect any answers we might come up with.

alanbates12
01/23/2012, 08:30 PM
I've got two EB8. I have a battery back up that my system is plugged into. I thought if my power goes out turning off the lights would save the battery life.

SC Reefaholic
01/23/2012, 09:11 PM
The problem as I see it is if everything is pluged into the backup then there is no way your system will know the power is out.

The proper way to do this would be to have the eb8 powering your apex pluged into the backup with only critical equipment and the 2nd eb8 pluged into a regular wall outlet. Then your critical equipment would have backup and things like your lights that arent critical would go out with the 2nd eb8.

alanbates12
01/24/2012, 05:44 AM
Page 124 of the users manual:
You might wonder, if the base module is on a UPS, how would the "If Power Apex" statement ever be true. Normally it wouldn't, the UPS will prevent that unless of course its battery fails. But anytime you reboot the base module, it is momentarily without power and will recognize that as a power failure, triggering the alarm condition.
If there is a power glitch will it not trigger the alarm or is this talking about the battery in the display itself?

swearint
01/24/2012, 08:45 AM
The proper way to do this would be to have the eb8 powering your apex pluged into the backup with only critical equipment and the 2nd eb8 pluged into a regular wall outlet. Then your critical equipment would have backup and things like your lights that arent critical would go out with the 2nd eb8.
This is how I have my system configured. One caveat, don't assume you can never lose power to the EB8 on the UPS. A pump short-circuited and tripped a breaker on the UPS, shutting down all my critical devices. Luckily, I caught it in time. My point is that you should also include an If Power EB8 ... command for the EB8 on the UPS.

Todd

swearint
01/24/2012, 09:06 AM
Page 124 of the users manual:
You might wonder, if the base module is on a UPS, how would the "If Power Apex" statement ever be true. Normally it wouldn't, the UPS will prevent that unless of course its battery fails. But anytime you reboot the base module, it is momentarily without power and will recognize that as a power failure, triggering the alarm condition.
If there is a power glitch will it not trigger the alarm or is this talking about the battery in the display itself?
This is referring to the UPS battery. The If Power Apex ... OFF command is really only useful to detect when power to the base unit is restored. Obviously, if the base unit is without power, it can't do anything. The internal battery is only to maintain the clock.

Todd

alanbates12
01/24/2012, 10:45 AM
So what's a good suggestion of how to use a UPS. I hate to have all critical stuff on an EB8 and have the UPS fail. And I'm using almost all plugs. I just want a text so I know I need to get to the house and plug up my generator.

kenargo
01/24/2012, 11:28 AM
So what's a good suggestion of how to use a UPS. I hate to have all critical stuff on an EB8 and have the UPS fail. And I'm using almost all plugs. I just want a text so I know I need to get to the house and plug up my generator.

You have a few options; the Fallback command tells the outlet what state to go into when command channel is lost so you could use Fallback and have outlets turn ON/OFF based on requirement. Another option would be to have a power statement that detects when the non-UPS connected EB8 looses power to change states of the outlets on the UPS connected EB8.

Make sense?

alanbates12
01/24/2012, 04:59 PM
Yea makes sense. Thanks

kurt_n
01/26/2012, 09:42 PM
I question whether you really want your lights to stay on for 1 minute. 1 minute of lighting, run off a UPS, will pretty much deplete it. Doubt you'd even get a minute's worth. I'd just have the lights go off IMMEDIATELY upon the outage.