PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Buy A.P.I. !

wsboyette
01/23/2012, 09:41 PM
A caveat for newcomers to the hobby: Stay away from the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand test kits, they give false readings and cannot be trusted. I just had a brand new ammonia test kit of theirs to read .25+ ppm on a sample of pure bottled water. Those cheaper tests just aren't worth the savings versus quality kits such as Salifert.....

f3honda4me
01/23/2012, 09:45 PM
I have never had issue with the API kits. They work just fine for me.

sponger0
01/23/2012, 09:48 PM
Same here. Works perfect for me

mguiling
01/23/2012, 10:13 PM
I was worried because my API ammonia test kept reading 0 and I thought my color blindness was the problem ;-)

thegrun
01/23/2012, 10:13 PM
+3, but it is possible that you got a bad test kit. I've seen the same even with Salifert.

AKA MAVERICK
01/23/2012, 10:23 PM
63 posts and bashing on a company already? Not calling you out but not sure your word will carry much weight. I've been doing this for about 3 years now and you know what I've learned so far? I don't know squat. Just a thought.....

Eldredge
01/23/2012, 10:37 PM
Been using API and Salifert for years. No problems with the API here. Well, sometimes the colors are tough for me to read - especially on the pH.

Rockys_Pride
01/23/2012, 10:42 PM
63 posts and bashing on a company already? Not calling you out but not sure your word will carry much weight. I've been doing this for about 3 years now and you know what I've learned so far? I don't know squat. Just a thought.....

I still don't get what post count has to do with knowledge. I haven't compared my API ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings with a salifert, but they were pretty close to the SeaChem. I compared the API to low range HANNA, and it was clear the API didn't read that low. But what do I know...

Edit: API phosphate v. HANNA checker

Steve_B
01/23/2012, 10:43 PM
i use an api to test 1 tank that i know what the perameters are because it has been fully cycled for years. of course 0ppm nitrite, 0ppm ammonia, ph exactly where i thought it would be and nitrate going up as i thought it would be. i'm cycling a tank right now and the hi levels of nitrite are where they would be expeted.
that's how i feel mine is pretty close by checkig one tank against the other.

SneakyPete
01/23/2012, 11:43 PM
I've used API tests in the past. I still use them for my Nitrate, DKh and Ca tests. I've also used Red Sea tests for ammonia, alk, and nitrate, and prefer the API...

rwb500
01/23/2012, 11:48 PM
one person's experience is never enough reason to declare a product worthless. many people use API kits with no problems. this thread is no more useful than one of the many posts that say "i used kit XXXXXX and it did not work properly for me." you can find those posts about ALL test kits.

kaipo13
01/24/2012, 12:16 AM
I have compared API results against a very expensive spectrometer that I use in the lab I work in and API comes pretty close. Perhaps your bottled water has some phosphate in it?

djkms
01/24/2012, 12:23 AM
I prefer API for calcium, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. I seem to get inaccurate/questionable readings with Salifert calcium, phosphate and nitrate, I do use them for magnesium though (is there a better kit out there for mag?). Hanna checkers for phosphate and alkalinity.

Everyone is going to have different opinions on test kits.

Maybe you had a bit of ammonia left over on your hands from going peepee?

3Watt
01/24/2012, 12:31 AM
API has always been my go to when funds are low. Recently that's more often than not.

Marinedepot has a good comparative test article on test kits. Fresh API kits hang in there with the 'big boys' according to those results.

The thing about liquid tests is that the person performing the test needs to read all of the instructions and possess the ability to comprehend them. And then perform the test exactly as the instructed how to do it.

kaipo13
01/24/2012, 12:32 AM
Maybe you had a bit of ammonia left over on your hands from going peepee?

I think that should be urea not ammonia, otherwise you'd better go see the Dr...

kikimers13
01/24/2012, 01:26 AM
I've had iffy results with a couple of my test kits, including API and Red Sea but it seems like if I get a weird result and I go ahead and retest I get a normal result. I've also had an ammonia test kit be completely wonky and had to replace the kit. I don't think it's necessarily a measure of a company when you get a bad reading once or twice or end up with a bad kit. I think if API had really bad test kits they would have been blasted a thousand times over by annoyed hobbyists. Maybe try a new ammonia test kit from them and see how that works out for you? When I worked at my lfs we frequently contacted manufacturers if we came into a problem and most of them are more than willing to make it right (not sure if we ever dealt with API). You might try giving API a call and see if they'd be willing to give you a replacement.

API
Hours of Operation:
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern Time (Monday through Friday)

Product/Technical Support: (800) 847-0659

Main Office: (215) 822-8181

Bluemon
01/24/2012, 01:46 AM
I think that should be urea not ammonia, otherwise you'd better go see the Dr...

theres ammonia in peepee -__-

big cats
01/24/2012, 01:48 AM
Perhaps your bottled water has some phosphate in it?

+1 to that..

Just because they tell you the bottled water is pure, doesn't ALWAYS mean they are correct. I'm sure it happens all the time that a bottle or two aren't as pure as they say they are..not only that but who makes the water you got from the bottle? Is it someone local? There are WAY too many variables to throw into the equation to say that the test kit was the issue. I work at LFS and we use nothing but API test kits for both FW and SW for almost 2 years and have gotten nothing but accurate readings..

I'm gonna say that the bottled water wasn't as pure as it was supposed to be..not only that, but bottled water isn't RO, DI or RO/DI water, and if the filters the company used while making that bottle or case or entire pallet for the day were close to needing replacement, that could be the issue.

Chances are that ammonia test was accurate, and you might not want to put that water in your tank:spin2:

Just my $0.02

AKA MAVERICK
01/24/2012, 02:14 AM
I still don't get what post count has to do with knowledge.
Edit: API phosphate v. HANNA checker

My point was fairly simple, posts count. If I'm going take advice from someone it's going to be a guy with more then 100 posts. Actually, 500. It tells me the guys been around a while, asked a few questions and maybe just like me, even been corrected a few times. That's how we learn. Could he be a genius and just saved us all from the evil API empire? (Haha) sure. But more often it sounds like a guy who got a bad taste in his mouth and wants to vent.

big cats
01/24/2012, 02:26 AM
My point was fairly simple, posts count. If I'm going take advice from someone it's going to be a guy with more then 100 posts. Actually, 500. It tells me the guys been around a while, asked a few questions and maybe just like me, even been corrected a few times. That's how we learn. Could he be a genius and just saved us all from the evil API empire? (Haha) sure. But more often it sounds like a guy who got a bad taste in his mouth and wants to vent.

+1 to that..
I belong to a reptile forum where left and right someone that joined earlier that week, or month, with very few posts will go and thrash a very reputable person's livestock, personal life, and anything they can think of just because they are angry..not only did they put a potentially bad mark on someone's rep, but they made themselves look foolish and childish just because they got a bit heated..

But we are all human, and we all have our moments..some of us just don't have the ability to control our actions..but I wasn't put here to judge, and I can only point out the (sometimes harsh but true) reality of the situation at hand..

One bad ammonia test and suddenly a company that has been around for how many years is no better than OJ?? sorry bud but it doesn't work like that..
If it upsets you that much you might as well contact API, tell them what happened, send the product back, and they will more than likely (granted you were doing everything correctly as per the instructions) send you a replacement testing kit..after all, don't they have a money back guarantee on their products?? It's as simple as that. I promise:beer:

Why must people complicate things so much?

Nelz
01/24/2012, 06:13 AM
Thats the one I got, but Im a newb

austin93
01/24/2012, 06:23 AM
I would be very hesitant to use post counts as a measure of experience or knowledge. Quite often its just a measure of free time.

Ron Reefman
01/24/2012, 06:29 AM
A caveat for newcomers to the hobby: Stay away from the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand test kits, they give false readings and cannot be trusted. I just had a brand new ammonia test kit of theirs to read .25+ ppm on a sample of pure bottled water. Those cheaper tests just aren't worth the savings versus quality kits such as Salifert.....

Well, you may only have 63 posts, but you've been part of RC since Aug of 2008 and you probably should have known better than to just out right flame a good corporate customer like API. Hopefully it's a lesson learned. :headwally:

And just to add my 2 cents, I have used API test kits for a long time and never had a problem (even when they get past their expiration date (as then tested against a new kit). But having heard some 'no so nice' comments made about API kits, I bought some Salifert kits. The Salifert kits test down to finer (smaller increments) and don't rely on shading of color charts. But I've compared the two against each other more than a few times over the past couple of years and they have always tested very close to each other. And do I really care if my calcium is between 430-450 by API or 435 by Salifert? Not really. :spin1:

sponger0
01/24/2012, 07:23 AM
My question is where is the OP that posted this? He hasnt tried to defend his claim one bit. Im sorry but i had API for my first tank. And it worked fine. Granted pH is hard to read sometimes.

The calcium API kit is way off from my experience. I tested several times, then bought a Red Sea Pro kit. Big difference

But for your basics, pH, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia, API works fine.

We may have a troll lol

firsttimereefer
01/24/2012, 07:54 AM
Its just my opinion but I don't think you should judge ones knowledge on post count. For example just because someone becomes a member today doesn't mean they just started in the hobby today. I would instead base my opinion on the value of the information given. In this case the op clearly doesn't share valuable information, instead of bashing a company he should have asked for advice on a better way to test. API has always worked for me

bnumair
01/24/2012, 09:00 AM
have used all name brands pretty much commonly used in this hobby. and for low priority tests like ammonia nitrites nitrates phos i use API and have used them for years. i have never had any problem with their readings. i have compared API tests against Seachem and Salifert tests and have gotten same results.

WetShepherd
01/24/2012, 09:35 AM
My question is where is the OP that posted this? He hasnt tried to defend his claim one bit. Im sorry but i had API for my first tank. And it worked fine. Granted pH is hard to read sometimes.

The calcium API kit is way off from my experience. I tested several times, then bought a Red Sea Pro kit. Big difference

But for your basics, pH, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia, API works fine.

We may have a troll lol

He posted late last night - presumably he's been both sleeping and at work. He may not even know there have been replies - either way it's reasonable enough to not count him out until he's had a couple days to get back on the forums. Even then, several people have nailed it and left little to say - one persons experience with one test kit isn't nearly adequate to condem a well know and often used brand.

For my part, I started with API in FW, and while I've found I like specific brands for particular tests (sali for nitrate, hanah for calcium for example), I've always liked API's testing methods and materials. The only problem I've ever had with them was the broad range of color matching; honestly though, for non-titration tests, when do you really need results that are more specific than range?

Jeremy Blaze
01/24/2012, 09:38 AM
All test kits avalible to hobbiests are only as accurate as the user controling them. Very easy to throw off a test. Most do not use them properly as it is.

RtReef
01/24/2012, 09:39 AM
I use API and it's pretty on point with my LFS testing who uses Salifert. Your thread title is giving a bad name to a reputable company. Every test kit can go bad at some point or another. If you haven't used much go return it and get a new one

agruetz
01/24/2012, 09:44 AM
The one thing I noticed (mainly the api calcium test) is it is highly dependent on how accurate the correct 5ml is in the test tube. So possible that you did something to throw the test off by accident.

markalot
01/24/2012, 09:45 AM
I would encourage the original poster to check the lot number on the bottles and make sure they have not expired. I've been using API for freshwater and now saltwater, never any issues except with Nitrate, which had expired.

big cats
01/24/2012, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure how people are finding it difficult to read the API test kits??
Take the test tube and hold it over the colors on the chart. If the color on the chart disappears when you hold it over it, chances are you are close enough to that number to say +/- 1 or so.

If the color doesn't disappear, then you find the color its closest to, and go from there. Sure it may not be precise down to a T, but if you are thinking you have an ammonia spike and it reads anything but zero, didn't you just confirm your thoughts, regardless of what number the test gives??

sponger0
01/24/2012, 10:26 AM
The one thing I noticed (mainly the api calcium test) is it is highly dependent on how accurate the correct 5ml is in the test tube. So possible that you did something to throw the test off by accident.

In response to the calcium test, I disagree. I tested it several times with API and when I got Red Sea Pro kit it was 80-120 ppm difference. And I am extremely anal when it comes to my testing.

jason2459
01/24/2012, 11:19 AM
I rather like API for Calcium and Alk as it's consistent and accurate enough for me plus it's cheap. API is not good for low ranges of phosphate which we need for our tanks and I really like the ease of use of the Hanna eggs for that which again is accurate enough for me. For nitrate/nitrite/ammonia API is perfectly fine but sure it's not good for the ultra low levels but after a cycle the ammonia and nitrite should not be a concern anymore unless you did something like rip out a sand bed or replace a lot of rock. Nitrate super low levels are not required like phosphates are so API is just fine to make sure you're at <5 for a reef system and reasonable like <80(number pull out of my %$%) for FO. For Mag there's not much for choices and like salifert as they are made for Mg testing in a seawater environment.

I've done a lot of testing with API and other brands and found no advantage over the more expensive brands for Calcium, alk, nitrate.

Here's a thread I did comparing API and Salifert.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1927189

topbottomfeeder
01/24/2012, 12:03 PM
maybe the OP didn't read the test soon enough. I know that for the nitrate and ammonia test, there is a time limit on the readings and colors keep changing even after 15 to 20 minutes.

could be a fluke, though you never know for sure.

seriously? that's like saying a theoretical physicist is not qualified because he or she is new at her job. comparing posts is just ridiculous

jcw
01/24/2012, 12:11 PM
All test kits avalible to hobbiests are only as accurate as the user controling them. Very easy to throw off a test. Most do not use them properly as it is.

Really?

I use API nitrate, ammonia. Salifert ca, phosp, alk, mag.
The API tests, I just need to know if it's present or not. I don't really need pinpoint accuracy.
Since I dose according to readings of ca, alk and mag, I'd like them to be more precise.
API serves it's purpose for me.

Jeremy Blaze
01/24/2012, 12:17 PM
Really?

Really.

For example,
covering end of vial with finger when mixing instead of cap

not mixing enough between drops

holding dropper at an angle instead of vertically, which will not give an appropriate size drop

not waiting long enough before comparing to color chart, or waiting too long

using an indoor light source for color comparing, when many light sources will alter the color

Not rinsing vials well before or after use

Just to name a few examples I have seen over the years.

sdc19982002
01/24/2012, 01:40 PM
For the Op. You probably jumped the gun by making this post. Dont let this discourage you in the future. We all say things without thinking them out. I have had no problems myself with api kits, but have had bad readings from my error. Loosing count of drops is what usually happens.

jason2459
01/24/2012, 01:45 PM
Really.

For example,

holding dropper at an angle instead of vertically, which will not give an appropriate size drop

using an indoor light source for color comparing, when many light sources will alter the color

I would have to agree that most tests that give inaccurate results are usually user error. Another issue would be old, bad batches, or expired reagents. I may not do things exactly the right way but I make sure to always do the tests the exact same way every time and that helps give me consistent results.

sslak
01/24/2012, 01:50 PM
According to one study, the average ppm of ammonia in bottled water is 0.12
http://www.ewg.org/BottledWater/Bottled-Water-Quality-Investigation/Bottled-Water-Quality-Investigation-Test-Results

You have no idea what's in that "pure bottled" water. It's a variable.

Why wouldn't you use some RO/DI that you confirmed was reading 0 TDS? Then you might have a valid point if you were reading ammonia on actual pure water.

Avaron
01/24/2012, 01:56 PM
I use all API. But once that runs out, I will be switching to Salifert for Nitrate and Phosphate

Chris27
01/24/2012, 02:06 PM
Myth:
Post count = experience

Fact:
Post count = slacking at work

Jeremy Blaze
01/24/2012, 02:07 PM
Myth:
Post count = experience

Fact:

:ape:

Kitsune_Gem
01/24/2012, 02:13 PM
Op. Its possible the store you got it from didn't go threw and check the expiration dates on their containers. I work in a pet store and I'm always having to check the expiration dates, you would be surprised how fast things expire.

Ive never had an issue with any API products, the one time I did, is when I was using an expired test kit it was an older kit, but I figured that out when everything tested so high off the carts that my fish should have been dead.

sponger0
01/24/2012, 02:17 PM

Myth:
Post count = experience

Fact:

Hmmmm is that why my post count is so high?

Wait a tick, Chris...yours is higher than mine lol.

agruetz
01/24/2012, 02:26 PM
In response to the calcium test, I disagree. I tested it several times with API and when I got Red Sea Pro kit it was 80-120 ppm difference. And I am extremely anal when it comes to my testing.

I think you misunderstood. The test is accurate however I found it to be very picky about making sure you had the exact right amount of water in the test tube. I had filled it over the line but just a little bit and it thru my reads way off. I still use mine all the time, I just pay closer attention to the water level, works well.

agruetz
01/24/2012, 02:27 PM
Myth:
Post count = experience

Fact:

100% true.

sponger0
01/24/2012, 02:34 PM
I think you misunderstood. The test is accurate however I found it to be very picky about making sure you had the exact right amount of water in the test tube. I had filled it over the line but just a little bit and it thru my reads way off. I still use mine all the time, I just pay closer attention to the water level, works well.

This would be for any test...but after comparing with a different test, it makes the difference. And being an SPS addict....that little bit of accuracy is important

Have you only used API for calcium?

AKA MAVERICK
01/24/2012, 04:17 PM
Posts do not equal experience? Really? With what? Maybe the forum members? I never made any mention to this guys "knowledge. I did not make that leap, rocky assumed it for me. My words were "don't think it will carry much weight" meaning look if you've got 50 guys that have been friends and posting (oops sorry talking) for a while and you walk into the room screaming "hey API sucks". Don't expect it to "carry much weight". My comment regarding his post count has nothing to do with if this guy goes home and splits sub atomic particles. I'm not mad about this, just clarifying my point. So again I stick to my guns posts count (IMO). It shows your active in this forum and I would guess active in this hobbie. :D

firsttimereefer
01/24/2012, 06:57 PM
So your saying that if someone has many years in the hobby and has a ton of useful information your not going to listen to him unless his post count is high. If someone gives me useful information I would be look into no matter how high the count is. Good information is good information no matter who it comes from. I don't think the op had a valid reason for bashing a good company but his post count is higher than yours so he must be correct right?

saltycoastie
01/24/2012, 07:04 PM
I would be very hesitant to use post counts as a measure of experience or knowledge. Quite often its just a measure of free time.

x2

but ive used API for years, only thing i hate is the leaking caps, and maybe make some plastic tubes, ive got tube thats broke at maybe 8cc still does 5 but leaks very very bad, cant shake it too hard

Sport507
01/24/2012, 07:05 PM
I find my API test kits just fine and I have compared it to Salifert and Hanna. All very close to each other. Maybe you need to lean to use it correctly.

I only use the others because it's easier.

firsttimereefer
01/24/2012, 07:28 PM
The leaking caps are very annoying especially when you have to shake for a minute

jcw
01/24/2012, 08:50 PM
Really.

For example,

and you find that most people that use these tests are making these mistakes?

hmmm.

AKA MAVERICK
01/24/2012, 10:37 PM
OMG, are people literally retarded on this forum? Did I mistake reef keepers for having slightly more brain power then the creatures they tend? Last time people, I was simply pointing out that because of his low post numbers I doubt anyone on here knows him well enough to take any merit in his ranting. I give up trying to explain my post to people who obviously don't have enough intelligence to read the replies and figure it out. I am starting to seriously doubt that coming to this forum for "intelligent" answers was a good idea.

djkms
01/24/2012, 10:47 PM
^^ Says the guy ranting with 11 posts lol ^^

Reef264
01/25/2012, 12:30 AM
Well this is Getting Hairy....

Captmrbles
01/25/2012, 12:49 AM
API is AOK in my book too.... who cares if it is a bit off from more expensive tests, I will be sacking away all the extra money I save in my kids college fund.. er maybe he will pay for college himself because dad spent all his money on saltwater stuff, guess the jury is still out on that one

Jeremy Blaze
01/25/2012, 06:33 AM
and you find that most people that use these tests are making these mistakes?

hmmm.

Yes, I have found a good deal of people make some of these mistakes?

Esp. when we are talking about "new to the hobby" folks, which after all, is where this thread is located.

How you ask?

Testing water for customers while I worked at a LFS, talking with them while doing the tests.

Giving "how to test" talks/ demonstrations for local fish clubs, in fact I will be doing another one of these this year.

So, yes, I have seen and talked to many people that make at least one of the mistakes mentioned above.

AKA MAVERICK
01/25/2012, 10:38 AM
^^ Says the guy ranting with 11 posts lol ^^

lol, I was only ranting because so many on here misread my post or assumed. i agree that post dont equal knowledge, but they do say you've been around the forum a while and people on here will prob have a little more respect for your word.:headwalls: OH, and I had a problem with API once, took it back to LFS shown them flawed results, he apologized and gave me a new kit(after we tested it there). :spin3:

shaginwagon13
01/25/2012, 10:38 AM
Same here. Works perfect for me

+1

Maybe you got a bad test? Not everything your gonna buy is 100% accurate and you have to expect some products to be defective thats just the way it is unfortunately. With things like test kits, have 2 just to double check.

sslak
01/25/2012, 11:15 AM
It's not a bad test, his method was flawed.

He tested BOTTLED WATER, which can certainly contain ammonia (he has no way of knowing).

You can't use an unknown substance as your control in an experiment. Learn how to science!!!

Hextall
01/25/2012, 11:49 AM
To the OP... did you just run one test on just one "clean" sample? If you only did a single test, or with that single test kit, your suggestion to avoid all API test kits is kind of suspect.

I've been using API, and have never gotten a false positive (and have gotten positive results when ammonia was present in my QT). In addition, for x-mas I got a Red Sea pro Ca/Alk/Mg test kit, and the Ca/Alk between the two tests were similar. API was within 40ppm/1 dKh for Ca/alk compared Red Sea, which is fine at the calcium levels I'm at now (high 400's and 9-10). Once I use up the API kits, I'll completely switch over to the more accurate testing kits when I need a much more resolute idea of calcium/alk levels.

I think for the beginner, using an API test kit correctly (that's an important word to include) can be one area where the user can save just a tiny bit of money starting out. as you use up the API, your startup costs should have stopped, so you can then start getting the more expensive and more accurate tests (or ask Santa like I did).

At the beginning, it's more important to know if there's waste products or not in your tank rather than the concentrations (even getting a false positive would cause you to retest, which is an important lesson for beginners). As you progress and get more and more challenging inhabitants, then upgrading the kits might be important. But for starting out, API seems fine.

ReeferHead84
01/25/2012, 02:20 PM
Don't mind me...I'm just trying to get my post count up.

Jeremy Blaze
01/25/2012, 02:21 PM
don't mind me...i'm just trying to get my post count up.

ooohhhh yeah!

seapug
01/25/2012, 02:50 PM
Yes, I have found a good deal of people make some of these mistakes?

Esp. when we are talking about "new to the hobby" folks, which after all, is where this thread is located.

How you ask?

Testing water for customers while I worked at a LFS, talking with them while doing the tests.

Giving "how to test" talks/ demonstrations for local fish clubs, in fact I will be doing another one of these this year.

So, yes, I have seen and talked to many people that make at least one of the mistakes mentioned above.

I agree. Speaking from personal experience, there are many many ways to get inaccurate readings from test kits, especially the titration types that are most common in the hobby. I personally find them incredibly frustrating to use (especially considering the cost of some brands), so I take my water to the LFS to have tests done when I suspect something is off.

AKA MAVERICK
01/25/2012, 03:35 PM
Don't mind me...I'm just trying to get my post count up.

HAHA, i hear it makes ya smarter...:beer:

bpaw
01/25/2012, 07:34 PM
API is a good test kit for what it costs. The only problem i ever had was the cap leaking when I shake the test tube.

Sport507
01/25/2012, 08:37 PM
API is a good test kit for what it costs. The only problem i ever had was the cap leaking when I shake the test tube.

Yep, remember to squeeze.........squeeze.........squeeze. When your are shaking.

Chris27
01/25/2012, 08:46 PM
Yep, remember to squeeze.........squeeze.........squeeze. When your are shaking.

I swear honey, all I was doing was making sure to clean it really well!

kripas
01/26/2012, 12:24 AM
Ummm wheres the OP???????

Sent from my iPhone using My point finger

doctorgori
01/26/2012, 12:38 AM
I used to be of the opinion API was allegedly inaccurate and the more expensive test kits were better, but times change, reputations change, if the populist opinion says API, why argue?...BTW whatever happened to Hach

sponger0
01/26/2012, 07:02 AM
Ummm wheres the OP???????

Sent from my iPhone using My point finger

They must have no valid arguement. Lol

sushibug
01/30/2012, 12:38 PM

I end up having a small bit of liquid spill out (from the cap itself) when I remove the cap. I wonder how much this affects the test results... I would imagine it does a decent amount since I have to recap and reshake often.

chgoblknazn
01/30/2012, 12:48 PM
I initially beleived all of the bashing when I first came on, but I have not had any problems with my test kits. They have been working fine for me through this early stage.

I figured I only really needed to know if there were or were not any nasties in my water and after numbers zeroed out and I added more delicate livestock, then I needed to use a kit that was more precise.

prior20
01/30/2012, 01:02 PM
I have used them since I started the hobby and they are fine. Just have to follow the directions exactly to get an accurate reading. Also make sure it isn't expired and since it probably sits at the LFS for a long time before you buy it, make sure all of the bottles are shaken well before use because the reagent can settle at the bottom.

m12x13adass
01/30/2012, 01:27 PM
I never really had issues with API. They tend to give me an accurate reading. Maybe I'm lucky.

Yreka
01/30/2012, 02:16 PM
OP= Operator Error most likely.

jason2459
01/30/2012, 03:06 PM
I used to be of the opinion API was allegedly inaccurate and the more expensive test kits were better, but times change, reputations change, if the populist opinion says API, why argue?...BTW whatever happened to Hach

Hach is still around and makes some good test kits. Probably one of the best for phosphates. They just tend to be a bit pricey.

OneReef
01/30/2012, 05:42 PM
API is perfectly fine for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Never had any issues with them. I look to salifert for all my other tests