PDA

View Full Version : Injured LTA

Word up
01/23/2012, 10:06 PM
I bought my LTA and I think the LFS tore it's foot when they tried to detach it from live rock. I got it home and it appears to be doing good but there is a huge visible tear. I made my profilr picture the torn anemone in question because I am not sure how to load pics to my thread ( I got photos need help attaching them). Is there anything to help make sure it makes it besides good water quality and feed it 3 times per week. 180 gallon live rock aggressive fish tank. Thanks in advance.

Word up
01/23/2012, 10:17 PM
My profile picture is of the anemone in question because I am not sure how to post pictures otherwise. Wondering what to do to help my LTA (and how to attach photos from iPad )

davocean
01/23/2012, 10:43 PM
A torn foot pretty much spells doom for the guy.
I would call the LFS asap and tell them you think it's foot is torn from their method of releasing it, and keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't just float around never attaching or worse turn to mush.
Photobucket is how I save/post pics.

Word up
01/25/2012, 08:59 PM
Below is a picture of the LTA with torn foot

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s385/hudson2007/th_a19f39cc.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/albums/s385/hudson2007/?action=view&current=a19f39cc.jpg)

Word up
01/25/2012, 09:02 PM
What can I do to help anemone heal itself beyond keeping water in correct parameters, proper light and feed it?

garygb
01/26/2012, 10:42 AM
Perfect water and keeping rowdy clownfish away from it is about it.

homegrownREEFER
01/26/2012, 10:46 AM
Yes, however every thread I read about a hole in a LTA's foot spells certain death. Kind of hard to tell from the pick but is that White stringy stuff in the middle of the foot? If it is white and it is its guts then that looks pretty bad.

Toddrtrex
01/26/2012, 01:49 PM
Any chance of getting a better/bigger picture?

It almost looks like an E. quadricolor -- which naturally split and may be able to survive this.

syrinx
01/26/2012, 05:56 PM
My first thought as well Todd. If it is a LTA and the foot is torn, it is not likely to live. People here know I always put some sort of possibility for nature to do anything-but I have never seen a torn foot like that heal on a LTA. But the way it looks- it is not unlike a BTA split, hence the thought perhaps ID may be at issue.

syrinx
01/26/2012, 06:03 PM
After actually looking at the pictures- I would bet it is a BTA for sure- having to pry it off a rock is something I should have thought of. If so- you are correct good water quality- put it on the rockwork and after it splits feed, it when mouth is proper.

Word up
01/26/2012, 09:40 PM
I am intrigued you guys think my anemone is not a LTA but BTA. If it is a BTA why is this survivable? What features make you suspect it is a BTA. The LFS guys said LTA but of course they were also the brain trust that tried to tear him off the live rock they eventually gave me to make the sale. I have included more up lose pics. Today it seems well inflated, good color, staying put sort of attaching to the base of live rock at sand level. My maroon clown has taken to the anemone and plan to keep clown off it if anemone starts looking bad.
Can it climb up higher on rock on its own or should I place it or leave it alone?

Toddrtrex
01/26/2012, 10:08 PM
IMO, it is an E. quadricolor -- BTA.

I do not see any of the characteristics of an M. doreensis -- LTA -- would have expected to see verrucae on the underside of the oral disc, which I am not seeing (( see picture below )).

The reason I think it has a better change of recovery is because E. quads naturally split, so they can handle damage to their "foot"

Ignore the damage to the foot, and look at the verrucae (( the bumps )).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/GLTA5_20.jpg

Word up
01/26/2012, 10:29 PM
Todd thanks. You have made me feel better that my now ... BTA is going to survive. Thanks

Word up
01/26/2012, 10:38 PM
Hey just for completeness sake here is an up close photo when the anemone was upside down 5 days ago.

Toddrtrex
01/26/2012, 10:40 PM
Now, lets see how its chances of recovery are....

What size tank?
What lights do you have?
What are your current parameters -- with numbers please.
How long has your tank been set up?
What all do you have in the tank -- livestock wise.

garygb
01/26/2012, 10:55 PM
If it was attached to liverock at the lfs and based on what little of the column and foot I could see in the last pic, I'm guessing BTA, too. That definitely would be good news, as Entacmaea quadricolor is much more forgiving of damage to the pedal disk.

Word up
01/27/2012, 02:47 PM
Ok to come clean about my tank... It is a 180gallon 110lbs live rock with flame angel, red sea sailfin, fairy wrasse, maroon clown, sleeper goby, mandarin, brittle starfish, and cardinals, soon to add juvenile emperor, harlequin tuskfih, and Henichus butterfly. I got the anemone before understood lighting needs so I have already ordered a ecoray 60d high par led. While I get acclimated to hobby I have a once monthly service that helps me keep water correct but I am a newbie and don't know exact numbers but assume the water is good. New problem with anemone is when I place krill in its tentacles the clown knocks them out 5 min later. I know until light installed proper feeding is key should I drape a colander over the anemone?

Toddrtrex
01/27/2012, 02:55 PM
Nothing wrong with having someone do maintenance, but you will need to have your own test kits and refrac (( to measure your salinity/SG )). Without knowing those numbers, it is hard to make a prediction about the chances of recovery.

garygb
01/27/2012, 06:39 PM
Unless your anemone is firmly attached, you shouldn't be feeding it. if it happens to eat, it will just regurgitate the food later.

Word up
02/07/2012, 08:44 PM
Quick update...BTA doing ok. After installed 60,3watt Cree LED with optics anemone moved away from light. I guess too strong but regardless better than pathetic light before. I guess run light for 5 or 6 hours versus 8 hours. Any thoughts?