PDA

View Full Version : cyano bacteria in refugium

Carey1465
01/23/2012, 10:17 PM
This cyano bacteria in my refugium is driving me nuts. The good thing, its staying in the refugium and not in my DT. I believe this is why I wasnt able to keep my chaeto alive in the fuge. I removed my phosphate remover about a month ago and I just put it back in about less than a week ago hoping this will help. I do have a decent skimmer to help out.

130 gal tank including fuge. been setup now for over 1yr
ph 8.2
nitrates 24
phos .23
alk is up in the good range but forgot the #
calcium 383 (FOWLR)

I added a powerhead to the fuge to see if that would help cause I noticed this strange odor coming from the fuge. I thought maybe it was stagnant water but might be from the cyano. I hoping the phosphate remover will help out. Should I cut back on the lighting and turn them off for a few days?? I dont have any chaeto in there but I do have grape caulerpa in the fuge.

Ron Reefman
01/24/2012, 06:14 AM
Turning the light off will make the cyano bacteria go away... temporarily. You need to solve the contributing factors (phosphates, nitrates, light and low flow). The powerhead should help, but that is the least important factor. Do you normally have nitrates at 24? I have a DSB in my refugium along with a simple coil denitrator in with my skimmer and I have zero nitrates and have never had cyano (in this tank). Given that you have a FOWLR system, maybe you could try feeding a little less or add some CUC. Maybe more water changes? I'm not saying you haven't already done these things, but you didn't say in your post and I'm just offering suggestions. Good luck.

Carey1465
01/24/2012, 12:11 PM
My nitrates are normally around the low 20's. I do water changes every 2 weeks and remove 25%. I do have a deep sandbed in my refugium (6"). Did you make your coil denitrator? What is a CUC??

rdog
01/24/2012, 02:32 PM
Clean up Crew (CUC)