PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this Picasso trigger??????

anaya
01/23/2012, 11:33 PM
Will a picasso trigger work as a tankmate for my fimbriated moray in my 75gal?

Buddy of mine randomly broke his tank down today and called me for help(convinced him to give me his return pump as back up for mine ((score!)). Long story short, while taking all his fish to the LFS for consignment I took the trigger home. Should I keep it in the 75gal where my Fimbriated moray is going? Well as soon as I get the nerve up to move him from his smaller tank... Or should I take him back to the other fish?

This little guy has awesome behaviors + he is fat = hilarious!?!? What to do...

reefergeorge
01/24/2012, 01:37 AM
How big is he? IME once they get about 3" they are a terror. Good thing they grow extremely slow.

Wistler
01/24/2012, 06:33 AM
A three inch terror....I hope not!

I have had my Picasso for about 3 months and he is so cool. He probably just hit the 3" mark. He is in a 180 FOWLR tank with a 4" Blue Spot Toby, 6 inch Mag Foxface, 4 inch yellow tang, 3 inch reef chromis and some anthias.

So far all has been well and the Picasso has been a gentleman. From all the posts I have read he is less likely to get as mean as a Clown or Undulated trigger. I'd be upset if I had to remove him soon, because he lets me rub him and comes right to the top of the water to "play."

I guess the real test will be when I add the tuskfish, angels and other fish in the next couple months.

jlcoop277
01/24/2012, 07:08 AM
I just traded my Picasso in, he was right at 3" and was a border line terrorist. It would try and take food out of the other guys mouth. Really cool fish, he would spit at me if I didn't put the food in fast enough.

anaya
01/24/2012, 08:22 AM
Well it is 3.5" to 4" so I should take him back? terror how? Like will he bite my eel?

triggerfreak
01/24/2012, 06:55 PM
It all depends on the indivedule fish.I have had many picasso triggers from one inch to 6 inches and they have all been fine.They tend not to be a real aggressive trigger but as with any trigger you can always get a crazy one.I would try it and see how it goes.I would think you should be ok.Then if it dont work out get rid of it.

anaya
01/24/2012, 09:05 PM
Well came home from classes today to find 3 damsels dead 2 with what appears to be bite marks on them. The marks were about the width of the triggers mouth.... oddly the bites were .5" to .75" in length??? Not sure it was the trigger.... the bites seem longer than it would be possible for the triggers mouth to open. Then again I have never owned a trigger or seen bite wounds caused by a trigger so I have nothing to compare them with. I am honestly thinking by the smell of the dead fish that the trigger may have had a bite or two after the fish were dead. Either they died for some unknown reason or were killed by one of the hitchhikers that came on my live rock... I suppose that sadly I am going to re-home ol' Pablo Picasso. I'm to freaked out that he may nip my eel's fin and if that were to happen I would be sooooo angry at myself for not taking him out before the eel went in the tank.

kirkaz
01/24/2012, 09:36 PM
I know there are people that have had nasty Huma Triggers, but I have had 2, including one for 7 years in a previous tank, and neither were/are the least bit aggressive. As stated, it depends on the individual Huma. Oh, and I had an Eel with both.

Another FYI, Bob Fenner divides Triggers in 2 catagories in his first book....Troublemakers, and Non-troublemakers. He considers Humas in the non side.

bLac2
01/25/2012, 12:25 AM
I have a Huma (along with other triggers) with a couple of eels (pt) and they seem to swim along side of eachother. Well more of the Huma brushing sides with our ghost ribbon (Pseudechidna brummeri) the majority of the day (and our Niger sleeping in the same dwelling as our skeletor). I've also seen what appears to be the trigger taking small portions of food to its crevice, in which it does eat (both Huma and Niger taking food to both respected eels they seem to fancy). Interesting relationship. I highly enjoy ole Huma/Picasso and his intriguing personality. I would recommend you to keep him :) Give him a chance :P You never know, could be eels new sidekick :D

anaya
01/25/2012, 06:31 PM
Well I am glad to hear that it could work and or most likely would. But I did take him to the LFS today. I'm calling it a good decision because when I walked in both the owner and his wife were there. The owners wife fell for the little guy and he is going in the stores FOWLR display tank, meaning he will not be for sale, possible saving him from some uninformed, new to the hobby, or a small tank he will not thrive in. I would have gave him a shot but the tank I could have housed him in was the min. required size and I honestly know nothing about housing a trigger. I will try one (triggerfish) in the near future when I have done the proper research and have a set up to properly house them (a tank not at the min. requirement size).

Thank you all for the information: Antonio