PDA

View Full Version : Forget tank size or anything else. Whats the best pulling skimmer u have seen?

csmfish
01/24/2012, 11:48 AM
Now, I am not talking about a skimmer in a trash can of dead fish carcasses. I am talking about skimmers that pull things out you would have never thought you had in the tank, like, say, 1 damsel in a 210 tank.

Brand and model please..... :fish2:

ezerasurfr
01/24/2012, 12:41 PM
None of my skimmers have ever pulled a fish out of the water....even if it was a damsel :P

philosophile
01/24/2012, 12:45 PM
Well, I just upgraded from a 30 gallon tank, to a 90 gallon tank, and from a AquaC Remora to a Reef Octopus XPS1000SSS. Even before any fish were in there, I just had some live rock I had been cooking for two months, and in two days, the skimmer pulled some pretty nasty crap out of the water. About 5 cups of it. So I was pretty impressed to say the least. I don't think my AquaC had ever pulled anything equivalent in the year that I used it.

csmfish
01/24/2012, 12:48 PM
None of my skimmers have ever pulled a fish out of the water....even if it was a damsel :P

Sounds like you need to either clean it or get yourself a new one! :lol:

a.browning
01/24/2012, 01:01 PM
+1 to Super Reef Octopus. Extremely good skimmer.

ja4207
01/24/2012, 01:05 PM
Reeflo pro I, II and III..... Amazing is all I can say.

Green Chromis
01/24/2012, 01:14 PM
ETSS are the best skimmers I've ever owned an I have used a lot of different skimmers. :) Never caught a fish in one.

cjk76
01/24/2012, 01:19 PM
I think he was asking what pulled small amounts of wastes out of a large amount of water... not a fish out of an aquarium. haha.

If you have a small fish in a large aquarium, the waste will build up slowly until it is enough to skim. Then the skimmer will skim a large amount out and the cycle will start again. Just get a skimmer that can handle you final bioload.

csmfish
01/24/2012, 02:09 PM
I think he was asking what pulled small amounts of wastes out of a large amount of water... not a fish out of an aquarium. haha.

If you have a small fish in a large aquarium, the waste will build up slowly until it is enough to skim. Then the skimmer will skim a large amount out and the cycle will start again. Just get a skimmer that can handle you final bioload.

Hey, if it pulls a fish out too, its worthy of the list.

Thats why I said to forget the size. If you have a tiny skimmer then that will probably pull something out compared to a bigger skimmer in the same water. Thing is, I want to know what everyone has seen and are impressed with. Pulling waste out of a 210 with 1 damsel in it would be impressive, ehy? Though, I would have to say it would have to be a small skimmer like my bac-pac or something.

robertjk7005
01/24/2012, 02:17 PM
I have a Euro Reef skimmer (not sure what size bought it second hand)
It has an upgraded pump on it and this thing pulls dark green skimmate out maybe fills half the collection cup in about a week or 2 . this is on a 120 gal tank with a decent size bioload (about 3 big fish 3-5 inches long and 5 smaller fish) really want to find out what size my skimmer is maybe i'll take some dimensions and compare them but i would def recommend a Euro Reef from my experience

sirreal63
01/24/2012, 02:18 PM
Possibly the most pointless thread of the year...so far. I am sure someone will come up with one even worse. :-)

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here? This would be more fun in the Lounge. :-)

LaOtIn
01/24/2012, 03:24 PM
best skimmer in the world.....the beach, mother nature's skimmer :)

other than that, you are going to get a metric ton of opinions :)

advice: get a skimmer within your budget that is rated for 25% more than your tank's water volume.

you have a 100g tank
skimmer A is rated for 100g = no
skimmer B is rated for 125g = winner :}

no skimmer + awesome fuge full of nature's best filteration material = ding...winner!

KafudaFish
01/24/2012, 03:28 PM
This really would not be that much fun in the lounge.

Justsayin.

ZOKU
01/24/2012, 06:53 PM
I bought a Super Reef Octopus SRO2000INT for my 40B set-up.

And I bought it because a co-worker has the next step up on his 150G set-up... and with as clean as his set-up is I've personally witnessed this skimmer pull out an insane amount of GUNK!

My system isn't up 'n running yet, but I am SO glad I got such an awesome quality skimmer.

Tony B (UK)
01/24/2012, 06:59 PM
I have a reef octopus xp3000 cone skimmer. It is amazing it pulls out so much crud.

I've owned aquamedic, sander, deltec, aqua c and a few other brands and by a large margin the xp cone is a real beast!

csmfish
01/24/2012, 06:59 PM
Oh, okay, yea, I forgot, ALL skimmers work AWSOME and is why we dont need so many brands cause you can just pick one with your eyes closed and it will work fine. And I am the one wearing the asshat?

FYI, I have a MSX 200 so I have my awesome skimmer and an algae scrubber.

Thanks for playing and have a great day! :rolleyes:

csmfish
01/24/2012, 08:18 PM
Possibly the most pointless thread of the year...so far. I am sure someone will come up with one even worse. :-)

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here? This would be more fun in the Lounge. :-)

Oh, okay, yea, I forgot, ALL skimmers work AWSOME and is why we dont need so many brands cause you can just pick one with your eyes closed and it will work fine.

FYI, I have a MSX 200 so I have my awesome skimmer and an algae scrubber.

Thanks for playing and have a great day!

sirreal63
01/24/2012, 08:23 PM
Glad to be of service, come back when you can pose an actual coherent question. :wave:

reefgeezer
01/24/2012, 09:03 PM
We've gotten much smarter about skimmers. The industry has responded by providing better skimmers at more reasonable prices. Reef Octopus skimmers are a good example, but there are many others.