PDA

View Full Version : New to coral and halides

fireman23
01/24/2012, 01:33 PM
Hello all. I'm sure you get this alot. I am new to keeping reef. Well I have a few pieces of coral( pink pulsing Xenia, candy cane coral, plate coral,brown button polyps). I have a 75 gallon tank, Not drilled. I have two new ushio 10k halide bulbs, 2 54w t5 actinic bulbs. Tank has been set up for a year now. I have a 20 gallon sump with refugium, reef octopus nw 110 skimmer, phosban reactor. Recently I had a slime algae outbreak and it seemed to have a negative effect on what little coral I do have. Everything is closed up. Could also be from new lights? My question is can someone please point me in the right direction of responsible reef keeping. What I should be dosing , if anything. Right now I am only wanting to keep softies until I learn more about specific needs and care.

fireman23
01/24/2012, 01:40 PM
Also should add I would like info on good books to read for corals or practices that people have used themselves. Just looking for direction. Only additives I currently add to tank are reef bio fuel, reef builder and marine snow for coral food. I have heard that the marine snow can cause a spike in nitrates. Is this true.

Reef264
01/24/2012, 01:52 PM
Usually old bulbs cause Slime, not new ones.Try a Couple of water changes and get as much slime out as you can.

fireman23
01/24/2012, 01:58 PM
I used chemiclean and after 48 hours done a 15 gallon water change sunday. I dosed again lastnight and Wednesday will do another 15 gallons. Is that to much to soon.

fireman23
01/25/2012, 08:16 AM
Anyone?