PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready for a manderin?

bamf25
01/24/2012, 06:00 PM
I have a 120g system that has been up for 9 months. I have a 15g fuge, with good cheato growth, and pods. I did some night spying on my dt last night and was easily able to find pods. Is this tank ok for a manderin?

If so, how do you QT one of these guys considering they are notoriuos for poor eating?

davocean
01/24/2012, 06:32 PM
I would say you are fine.
A mandarin is one of the only fish I will risk not going through a QT process, for the reasons you mentioned and because they are less vulnerable to most pest issues due to their very thick slime coat.
However, there is still risk in not QTing any fish, and some will say no way to adding a fish that has not been QT'd, but for me the risk seems very slight compared to the risk of losing the fish from not having enough pods, and they must have pods whether they eat any prep'd food or not.

snorvich
01/24/2012, 08:31 PM
I agree with davocean. You should be fine.

billyzbear
01/29/2012, 03:06 AM
If you find adult pods in your overflow bag or filter then you are for sure ready.
I have a tank above and to the side of main tank as refugium. I kept my last mandarin 5+ years in my 90g this way. Now I have a pair in my 150g. In a year I have stocked the above tank fug with 6 bags of reef pods. Half of them where on sale at a local coral event.