PDA

View Full Version : What are the signs that I'm providing enough (or too much/little) light?

Hextall
01/25/2012, 11:06 AM
I recently upgraded to LED lighting in my 29g biocube (RapidLED's retrofit kit). I control a dimmable driver (meanwell) via an Apex controller. I have 2 strings... 11 on one (all royal blue), and 9 on the other (6 CW, 2 NW, and one royal blue... it's a long story). I plan on adding 2 more LEDs on the white strand (a red and green, for S's and G's).

I set the maximum current on the drivers to about 700-750 mA (other people have bumped this up over what I have... but to break down where I installed the drivers would be a bit time consuming). The Apex is running the LEDs at a max of 70% and 65% (blue/white).

I recently added a few SPS and a maxima clam (at the bottom of the tank on a rock).

After installing the LEDs, I had some green star polyps on a small frag that had previously spread onto the rock... and it died back. Which is a bit of a surprise, as I always read a bunch of tales about GSP being a bit of a weed like pest. that was the only coral I had do that (I have a build thread in the nano forum with more details about what I have in my BC).

Obviously the GSP dying might have been caused by too little light (I started with a low intensity and have been ramping it up to what I'm running now over about 3 or so weeks). But I didn't notice much about the GSP before it was mostly gone.

Besides obvious death... what are some of the signs I should be watching for in my corals to indicate I'm providing too little... or too much light? Researching some, I've read about bleaching when too bright... what else?

thanks for any suggestions.